The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Biting horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/biting-horse-103785/)

tanya 11-18-2011 04:06 PM

Biting horse

Should I be correcting my horse for biting my dogs? They walk up to the fence and the horse leans over and bites them I wasnt sure if thats her way of saying your to close and to move or if I need to step in and do something. If I do correct her what should I do?

kait18 11-18-2011 04:14 PM

i would think you should correct :) only bc we correct our dogs for biting at the horses therefore horses shouldn't bite them imo...

i would allow him to sniff but once he goes to bit throw your hands up and back him off the fence. but i would work on this outside the fence aswell so you can quickly back him/her away from dog when the action of biting starts to show.
sniffing ok biting no good.hahah

goodluck :)

DuffyDuck 11-18-2011 04:22 PM

Have to agree with kait18 here o.0

What if thats a kid approaching your horse's fence?
Maybe you should do some training away from the fence, alongside your dogs so he realises dogs are part of your pack so to speak and untouchable ;D

tanya 11-18-2011 04:27 PM

Thanks I will do that. She seems to be a very jealous type and anything non human that gets close she takes a bite out of. I wasnt sure if I needed to correct since we dont correct them for biting the other horses they are in with since thats how they do the pecking order. I was just out there and she sent both my shepherds running away crying.

DuffyDuck 11-18-2011 04:32 PM

But your shepherds aren't horses, and although that behaviour may be acceptable in the field it shouldn't be something that is allowed because it will develop from dogs, to humans! Someone else will hopefully give you some good ideas to help with this problem though.