The Horse Forum banner

Ride safe during hunting season

9K views 83 replies 27 participants last post by  gunslinger 
#1 ·
See less See more
#32 ·
Same here. Fall to me means crisp leaves, cooler air, bonfires, pumpkins and BAM BAM BAM!!! lol I always think there is no freakin' way they are shooting that many deer. Somebody is just getting their jollies shooting their guns.

I don't ride in the woods during hunting season. Heard too many horror stories. If I was going to ride, I'd avoid the first few and last few days of deer season. It seems those that are the most trigger happy will be out right when it opens and then again trying to bag that last deer before it ends.

Someone told me something scary once. They said if a person wanted to murder someone but make it look like an accident, all they'd have to do is take that person hunting. Apparently if you look up hunting accidents and see how many people were killed, there tends to be little investigation or punishment.

In the 80's there was a woman in maine who was killed in her own yard hanging up her laundry and the hunter who killed her did no time at all. They said she was wearing white mittens and he thought it was a deer's tail. I honestly thought it sounded like an urban legend but I looked it up and it's a real story. :shock:

#34 ·
my efforts this year have paid off and Sunday Huntng in Va is still banned. Was close the bill passed the state senate, and hit all the newspapers, this casued quite the uproar, so it is now basically dead in the House.
In my area the dog clubs not only ruin any other outdoor activity they ruin other types of hunting. Deer gun season lasts about 3 months with the 2 months of road hunting with dogs the worse. You cant really safely do anything even on your own property. Hence the uproar about Sunday Hunting,. thats the day everyone rides.

#35 ·
Is it dead, dead or dead until next year? I totally agree that the dog hunters kind of kill everything, including other types of hunting. And I don't mean dog hunters like my uncle was. He was a duck/quail hunter and never went out without his trusty springer spaniel. One springer. When she died, he used to take one English Setter with him.
The dog hunters I've seen go out with a pack of 10-15 dogs! I don't know much about hunting but I thought hunters needed quiet. I don't understand how one would hunt with so many dogs, other than fox hunting which of course isn't really hunting.

#36 ·
Hunting quail with dogs is totally different than running deer with dogs. Deer hunters take huge packs of dogs and run everything out of the woods. It is illegal here in Georgia, but there were some people near us that used to do it. They had drives and killed everything in the woods that moved. They never got caught by the law. Fortunately, they only rented the land. A few complaints from neighbors, and the land owner stopped renting to them. It is really nice that they are gone.

#37 ·
Wow I didn't know that. I lived in VA years ago and then we moved to Connecticut. We just moved back here this past fall. The only time I saw people with tons of dogs was when we lived here the first time. We'd ride out to the mountains in the fall and see hunters off the road with tons of dogs and they were always some type of hound. Not really a beagle. Looked like hound mixes to me. But you always had to slow down when you saw them because it was total chaos with men and dogs everywhere and I was always afraid a dog would run into the road. I couldn't understand how or why someone would hunt that way. So dogs chase animals and then the hunters shoot them? Doesn't seem very sportsmanlike to me. I haven't seen anything like that where I live now thank goodness.
I do hear lots of shooting in the woods though which makes me think these guys are shooting more than just deer during deer season. Real deer hunting should be an occasional shot, not sound like Fallujah as Mildot mentioned.

#38 ·
I live in an area as described above, with hunting-crazed people. Someone actually shot a pet burro!!!

The ideas mentioned are all good, but I stay off trails during hunting season. Even on Sunday, some people sight in their guns, or target shoot (or poach???) so better safe than sorry!!!

We have lots of dirt roads, too, but as noted above, sometimes they just shoot at something moving. No thanks! I just don't take the chance.

I went out to feed the horses during the first day of hunting, and there was someone within 200 feet of me, shooting in the other direction, but TOO close! Scared the daylights out of my horses, despite them being used to shots, 'cause he was SO close. I hollered, asked him to get away from the horses, as I was actually afraid he would scare them into stomping me. Unnerving!

#43 ·
There is an open season on some game or another almost continuously from September to January in virtually every state in the nation.

And in most states, hunting is allowed seven days a week.

Whatever do we, who live in those places, ever do to ride?

You all need to ratchet down the anti hunting anti shooting hysterics.

#44 ·
I am not anti-hunting.

It is annoying when guys shoot too close to the road. It is also illegal.

With the exception of that group that I mentioned earlier, most hunters are polite, slow down their trucks if they see your horses, and won't bother you. I ride dirt roads and do see a lot of hunters. Since they can't hunt the actual roads, they shouldn't shoot me. I wear orange when I ride during the season. Most hunters do not want to make the locals mad because if they are leasing the property, that is a sure fire way to lose your lease. I am guessing that the people that really hate hunters are people that ride off road trails on public lands. I ride the dirt road that go through areas where people are hunting. I don't ride on opening weekend of deer season. I try to avoid other extremely busy hunting times. I can see why people enjoy having a hunting free day each week. I also think that if they tried to restrict hunting one day a week here in Georgia, hunters would be rioting in the streets.

#46 ·
im not anti hunting, I am anti dog deer hunting and anti Sunday hunting, and its not hysteria. I really dont care about other states and how you get along. As others have stated what goes on in Eastern VA is different than other states.
There are no effective trespass laws. Dog runners turn their dogs loose on any ones land they please then will shoot the deer as they run across the road. They sit in and around trucks, lots of noticable drinking, shoot deer as they are chased, into and across roads and trails, god forbid they get off there butts and out of range of the beer coolers and actually walk in the woods and hunt. Yes I know the vast majority of hunters are responsible safe people, its the handful of very visible slobs along the roads that worry me. Just read the news f the wild horses on CHincoteage mistakenly shot during a group deer hunt, oops.
The target shooters tend to be shooting at a fixed target and not trespassing. Usually on their own land. I shoot alot myself. SO saying people can shoot seven days a week doesnt help much. I am very involved with this issue. Much of what goes on here is unique and people that coexist with hunting in other places dont get the anti sunday, and general anti hunting sentiment over this fight in Virginia.
in VA there are no enforced trespass laws, no enforced road hunting laws, we get massive numbers of dogs and huge clubs with dozens of shooters running dogs and staked out every 100 yards up and down the roads and trails. with lots and lots of buckshot shooting.
Whats sad is I am not exaggerating, drive around eastern Va on a saturday in December.
There arnt many injuries, only a couple fatalities a year, but that is because NO one except the dog clubs will step foot in the woods except on Sunday.
I am sure this issue will be back next session. Be alert next january.

#47 ·
If people turned their dogs out on other people's property to run deer here, there would be a lot less dogs. People would shoot them. In my county, there is a $2,000 fine for trespassing and hunting on somebody else's place and it is enforced. Private property ownership is highly respected. Deer hunters pay a lot of money for the right to have exclusive use of deer hunting land. It sounds like a totally different environment from what you seem to have.

#48 ·
which is exactly what I asked the sunday hunting supporters to get BEFORE asking for Sunday hunting laws,
Those hunters should be the ones screaming loudest for trespass laws and enforcement, dog hunting restrictions, and property rights of the non hunters.
If hunters would police their own, and work towards laws and enforcement that ruin it for everyone, you would see opposition to Sunday hunting disappear.

#52 ·
/agree

There's wide swaths of land around here where the dogs would be shot and hunters run off of property by the gun toting land owners if Johnny Law didn't show up.

It really sounds like you have a serious enforcement issue Joe. Anyone working on that angle while trying to keep Sundays free? Personally I would also be advocating making it illegal to hunt deer with dogs, nail that one and a lot of your issues would go away.

#53 · (Edited)
the current angle is selling a very expensive group dog hunting permit. With property size limits attached to it. That would prevent alot of the road hunting slobs. seriously the current practice is to turn dogs loose on the back of posted property, drive around on the roads to the other side and shoot the deer as they are run across your land and out into the road, or the powerline path along the road. The heck with you if you like to bow hunt, stalk or do anything else. I hunted my whole life, was kinda excited to buy this place, then I found out I couldnt even hunt my own land the way I like after deer dog season opens. So I havent hunted in years. Yes I know I can legally shoot the dogs as I have livestock. But I figure it isnt the dogs fault and beagles tend to be the nicest friendliest dogs.

but we are putting it on the hunting groups to make the changes. Currently Sunday hunting is illegal. Alot easier to keep it that way than to get new laws. Currently only 7% of Va residents hunt. Pretty easy to get a huge No Sunday hunting coalition group together. equestrian groups, bikers, farmers, even most of the hunters are against this. A very small element, mostly people with "Pay to hunt" land owners are pushing for this. All about profit for them.

#54 ·
There was a hunter killed on his own property by a trespasser here in our county. Left behind a widow and several small children. The public outcry was big. The probate judge and the sheriff are elected officials. They had to change things or get booted from office. They started fining people $1000 per offense for illegal trespass and $1000 for illegal hunting. That makes a total of $2000 per offense. If you smart off at the judge, they add jail time. A few people paid some high fines and things calmed down.

Joe, one thing that I would do is to put up six rows of electric wire. I suspect those dogs would think about whether they wanted to hunt on your land. There is no way that they would get away with what they are doing. I would also hate to kill the dogs. I would have no issue with life trapping them and holding them captive. Another option is to sell your place and move to Georgia.

#55 ·
I live in Washington State, and have only hunted on land which is owned either by Weyerhaeuser or Simpson Timber. Weyerhaeuser property is virtually all walk-in/ride-in only (the land is gated), and Simpson sells keyed access rights for vehicles. I feel fairly safe riding under those conditions, but still keep my eyes open@

#56 ·
Celeste, I love Georgia so please don't take offense but I'm thinking, man, if Georgia is banning something, it must be pretty bad! Georgia is such a good ol boy state that for them to say deer hunting with a pack of dogs is bad, then you know it's bad, lol. :lol:

I could never shoot a dog unless it was attacking me or one of my pets. I just could never do that. I allow my one neighbor to hunt on our property. He's only asked twice and I totally trust him. He's in his 50's and been hunting a long time. He hunts on a part of my property where I don't even go anyway. It's so densely wooded, it's really just buffer land.

I do wish deer season wasn't in the fall. It's the most beautiful time of year. Can't they have January through March instead? :D

#59 ·
no idea, on the makeup, I suspect most of the land is privately owned.
Sorry but I refuse to put up a fence to keep YOUR DOG off my land. I actually had a neighbor tell me that, I should put a fence up to keep his dog out.
Thats one of the issues I bring up with the legislators. The pro sunday crowd likes to say the 44 states that have sunday hunting dotn have problems.
But those 44 states
Dont have dog deer hunters,
Have way more public land
Have actual trespass and road hunting laws and some enforcement,
and in general way shorter big game firearm seasons.

#60 ·
I would try to find cases in which landowners and hopefully even governments were sued due to liability issues over the dog/deer hunting issue. Politicians don't care about you. They don't care about the deer hunters. They do care about money and liability.

#61 ·
Celeste that's a great point. I hate the we are a sue happy society, however, many times lawsuits are the only thing people pay attention to.

Joe your neighbor has balls of steel to tell you to put up a fence to keep his dog off your land. A lot of times, people have been in an area for generations and they kind of think that they own all of the land around them.

But those 44 states
Don't have dog deer hunters,
Have way more public land
Have actual trespass and road hunting laws and some enforcement,
And in general way shorter big game firearm seasons.
This can't be stressed enough when comparing one state to another. In some parts of some states (like apparently eastern VA) it's the inmates running the asylum and it's easy to see how residents grow tired of dealing with it. I had no idea eastern VA was that bad. I thought it was just western VA.
People like to paint those with hunting concerns as though they are just PETA nutjobs or anti gun folks. That couldn't be further from the truth. Just look at Joe! I mean that as a compliment btw. You strike me as very much a country boy. If you say there are hunting issues in your neck of the woods, I believe it.

#62 · (Edited)
I feel for you guys.
Our county is the poorest in the state due to the fact that it is 90% National Forest and the other 10% is large farms or private untouched woodlands. In Arkansas there is dog hunting and those animals are typically a WHOLE nother kinda animal. We've had to shoot over 10 hunting dogs who ran off from the pack. They show up emaciated, riddled with ticks, injured, and are really dangerous. There isn't a pound or shelter within 70 miles and they wouldn't take them anyways, since we aren't in their county. I'm not saying all hunting dogs are bad, even deer hunting dogs, but the ones who show up here have been trained to chase and kill large game and have had very little contact with humans. They are kept in pens, fed raw meat, and often times beaten into submission. We absolutely hate having to shoot any dog and usually it's my husbands job! A while back a mangy hound tried to attack my daughter and I when we were trying to get into the house. I had my dogs kenneled up thankfully, and as we were getting out of the car the thing came around the corner of the house and growled and charged us. I grabbed my gun and chased it around the yard, poor thing kept stopping beside the barn, the propane tank, and the house so I couldn't get a safe shot off. We got him later that day.

I know some great dog hunters, especially ones that run Fiests (sp). They keep their main dogs super well trained and are their pride and joy. It's the rough guys that run the big dogs and it's pretty sad. I can't stand deer season. We hunt ourselves and have a freezer full right now, but we don't do it as a drunken hobby, we do it to feed our family. A shot is only taken when the deer is within 25 yards out of our deer blind. I had a feed plot this year and had some great animals on the property. I went out to load the mineral sack and checked the blind and found tons of pop bottles and snacks in there. Someone had been hunting on us. We are way out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by NF so whoever was trespassing had to hike in a long way to get to us. The nerve of some people absolutely blows my mind!

#63 ·
well in this case the enemy of my enemy is my friend and I have found myself allies with some of the fringe elements.
If a guy who hunted for 30 years, has dead animals on the wall, is an NRA life member, USPSA B class competitive shooter, former IDPA state champ, with a private gun range and a deer stand in his back yard is dead set against your hunting group so much he is actively campaigning agaisnt you, is having frequent discussions with elected officials and is sending out newsletters to get hundreds of people to show up at state legislature meetings. Is associated with fringe animal rights groups in the process.
Your hunting group has a problem.

#67 ·
Fastest way to get anything done through the legislature is to get one or two members ticked off about something. Time to start hunting their property in the same way yours is being hunted. I bet it wouldnt take a day to have a draft bill on the table.

Hmm, since the police probably would show up with a lawmaker complaining you best pay a few of these bad hunters to shift their attention that way instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.