The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   I conquered the skinny jump! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/i-conquered-skinny-jump-103811/)

juniormylove 11-18-2011 11:10 PM

I conquered the skinny jump!

Funnily enough, I did it on the 2nd biggest horse in the barn!

I rode Brooke for the first time in over a year last week, and we jumped a 3'6" oxar (at the end of a combination BUT IT COUNTS). This week, I rode her again :p

It was fantastic!

Brooke has been my "baby" for the past few years so it was nice to finally get to ride her again.

but anyways.

So we were warming up over 2' and 2'6" and of course, my trainer threw the skinny in. We had a stop mostly because it was a weird distance and Brooke's not THAT athletic.

But then, I was riding Brooke and the other lady in my lesson was riding Hopper, who does 4'+, so my trainer put the jumps up for us to "have a little fun"

Including the skinny. I thought I was gonna die and then decided to [metaphorically speaking] grow a pair and get over it.
I did it.

We jumped the skinny without any more problems - even when it was set as an airy 3' oxar!!

I also managed to trust myself on distances, which rarely happens above 3'.

I love Brooke. Even after not riding her for over a year, she's still the perfect confidence booster for me (right when I need it!)

Also, after only two rides I already have Brooke doing her flying changes with me again. No one's been able to get them out of her for MONTHS. I have hope for her yet, bahaha.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...g/SDC11277.jpg
"My" baby.

Snizard93 11-19-2011 05:34 AM

She's gorgeous! Congrats on the progress :lol:

Allison Finch 11-19-2011 07:02 AM

What a nice looking mare.
I knew you would master that skinny jump. I had no doubt! Congrats!

juniormylove 11-19-2011 08:55 PM

Thank you! We'll have to see what happens when I get back on green, wiggly Bling and try it (he's 7 but has the steering of a 4yr old haha) but I have hope!

Allison Finch 11-19-2011 09:31 PM

Go "base wide" with the wiggly horse. That means spread your hands wider as you approach the jump.This will help to keep the horse going straighter as you go to the jump. This is what I do with all my greenies, too.

catsandhorses 11-24-2011 08:51 AM

Very cool! Congratulations!

juniormylove 11-25-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1238771)
Go "base wide" with the wiggly horse. That means spread your hands wider as you approach the jump.This will help to keep the horse going straighter as you go to the jump. This is what I do with all my greenies, too.

See, I have a tendency to bring my hands together. Not sure what I think I'm gonna accomplish but it happens!

I'll definitely try that tomorrow, thanks!