The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Dutch Warmblood Questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/dutch-warmblood-questions-103842/)

cfralic 11-19-2011 09:37 AM

Dutch Warmblood Questions!

I am kind of on a slow and steady hunt forthe perfect horse breed for me. While at my most recent lesson, I rode a 25(!) year old Dutch warmblood. I have never ridden this breed but, man, did I love it! Wonderful, floating canter, and really good height (she was only 14hh! Perfect for me.) I really liked her because she just seemed to have a real spark of intelligence, and her movement was so nice. She also had a really cute face that reminded me a bit of an arabian.

I don't really know ANYTHING about this breed at all. When I hear warmblood I think jumper or dressage, I also think like 17hh, but I guess dutch warmbloods are different? Are they a good all-around horse?

Spyder 11-19-2011 10:21 AM

I question whether this is a real Dutch WB.

While they come in all sizes ( some will only be in the 15 hh range) they will NEVER be 14: hh.

The registry will simply not ever approve an animal that small.

stacysills02 11-19-2011 08:28 PM

everyone i know who had a warm blood. they were over 16 hand easy. never seen one in the 14 hand range. there mostly dressage and jumpers. beauitful movers and they have a heart of gold.

crimson88 11-19-2011 09:41 PM

Had to have been a different breed or who ever told you her height was wayyy off. Maybe you WERE riding an arab, lol. They do tend to be in the 14h range.

MoodIndigo 11-19-2011 09:51 PM

I have a DWB. I love him with all my heart. He really has a heart of gold.
He's mixed with a TB though.

He's also 17 hands high. As everyone else said, Dutch WB's don't come in pony size lol. You probably were riding a cross at the least.

Skyseternalangel 11-19-2011 11:43 PM

I have a Dutch Warmblood... everyone loves him, he is very sweet and very smart. And boy he moves like a dream.. he's 17hh though so not sure why yours was so tiny..

Golden Horse 11-20-2011 01:02 AM

Someone didn't read his care instructions and put him through the hot cycle in the dryer?

As to the perfect horse breed, why restrict yourself, you are looking for the perfect horse for you, regardless of breed or color:wink:

DuffyDuck 11-20-2011 10:13 AM

I like GH's answer!

If you'relooking for a warmblood, unless you're looking for a broodmare, stallion or top performance horse with proven parents don't restrict yourself to one breed.

Not a fan myself, they're too hot under the collar for me!

Skyseternalangel 11-20-2011 12:31 PM

Really Duffy? I guess I could see how they can be hot headed.. but after you go over the usual sacking out and ground handling and training.. they level out. Or at least my boy did.. but he started out a hot potato!

DuffyDuck 11-20-2011 12:53 PM

Yep! I have a lot of experience around the breed living only 10mins from the Dutch border, and I don't know if its how they're trained, or the temperaments of the parents but every single one I've met is hyped up, snorting spooky WB... like the stereotypical dressage horse! I wouldn't choose a KWPN personally, but that doesn't mean there aren't the exceptions, as with every breed.

LOL. Thats just made me sound like I have REAL stereotyping issues with Dutch horses ;D