The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Aussi saddle fit and placement. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/aussi-saddle-fit-placement-103859/)

Joe4d 11-19-2011 01:46 PM

Aussi saddle fit and placement.

6 Attachment(s)
HAve some pics here, This is a trailmaster which I bought for my appaloosa, It is advertised as best for wide flat backs but I think it fits my walker fairly well now that he has put on some weight. He isnt one of these super narrow shouldered walkers. He has about 100 miles under this saddle and I haven seen any rubbed hair, but he's kinda a butt head and I cant tell when he puts his ears back if he is just listening, Is actually pinning them, is tired, lazy, or there is something wrong. I got a new tucker coolback pad and after about 8 milers yesterday the sweat was arounf the perrimeter but the spine was dry. It was pretty cold and windy though and we didnt ride hard.

Joe4d 11-19-2011 01:47 PM

I am thinking the pics with the pad the saddle needs to come forward.

tinyliny 11-19-2011 09:18 PM

HI Joe,

When you sit in the saddle, can you fit a couple of fingers under the arch of the fork (where the horse is)?

Joe4d 11-21-2011 02:39 PM

I think you are talking under the saddle horn ? I'll check. I rode him pretty good yesterday and he got extremely hyper and worked into a fit. So was foaming everywhere. Got real good sweat lines. Shoulda taken a picture. The sweat was exactly the same shape as the saddle pad all the way around, He had two less sweaty but not really dry spots about the size of a silver dollar on each wither. I am thinking this are may be a little sunken in. Probably need some pics.

SaddleOnline 11-21-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1240233)
I think you are talking under the saddle horn ? I'll check. I rode him pretty good yesterday and he got extremely hyper and worked into a fit. So was foaming everywhere. Got real good sweat lines. Shoulda taken a picture. The sweat was exactly the same shape as the saddle pad all the way around, He had two less sweaty but not really dry spots about the size of a silver dollar on each wither. I am thinking this are may be a little sunken in. Probably need some pics.

Maybe move the saddle forward every so slightly, and stick a wither relief pad underneath the front. Not sure what the options are for a wither relief pad with an Aussie, so you may have to experiment some.

bsms 11-21-2011 08:52 PM

Looking at the pictures, I'd guess it could go about 2" forward, but it is hard to tell.

I've used this wither pad with my Aussie saddle on the more narrow horse:

Fleece Western Wider Wither Pad - Statelinetack.com

Worked OK, although it was $6.99 when I bought it. It raises the front some, and also gives the shoulder a little room to slide under the front edge of the saddle an inch or so.