The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bare-Up Mounting Aid ... thoughts? Opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bare-up-mounting-aid-thoughts-opinions-103882/)

PerchiesKisses 11-19-2011 04:49 PM

Bare-Up Mounting Aid ... thoughts? Opinions?

So I'm ordering this nifty gadget off ebay, and I'm excited to try it on my TB.

http://www.equestrianoutfitter.com/c...d%20blowup.jpg

Bare-Up Mounting Aid

It's suppose to be a single strap that slips around the horse's belly with a stirrup on one end. You feed it through itself kind of like a belt and when you go to get up bareback it gives you a foothold.

Now I'm quite able to find various trees and rocks to clamber on to get on my 16'2 hh TB gelding, but I like the idea of being able to hop on in the field without having to line him up with a feeder or some other piece of leverage.

But what do you guys think? Has anyone here used one before? Do you like it, dislike it?

tinyliny 11-19-2011 06:37 PM

Be careful~! Make some practice tries first. With weight in that thing, it will get tighter and tighter, with the pull being an upward pull under the chest. Horse may or may not find that disconcerting, so ease into it.

Let us know how it works.

I mean, a girth pulls upward, too, but doesn't pull tighter the more you step into the stirrup. That gadget increases it's pull the more weight you put into the stirrup. Maybe the horse will not feel any difference from a girth, but this concern did come to mind.

twh 11-19-2011 07:14 PM

Can't say I particularly like the slip action --- looks like the horse will get quite a squeeze out of that!

Tell us how it goes :)
Posted via Mobile Device

PerchiesKisses 11-20-2011 10:23 PM

I considered the fact it should tighten as i get on. I'm wondering if it may pose issues as my horse can be irritable about the cinch doing up. I would like to try anyway though. worst case if I find I don't like it i can sell it.lol
Posted via Mobile Device

SaddleOnline 11-21-2011 07:20 PM

Interesting idea, let us know how it turns out?

I kind of picture it squeezing the horse like a tube of toothpaste, but if you're fairly fit and can mount more or less quickly, it should not be too bad.

bsms 11-21-2011 07:43 PM

The problem I had when trying a lower stirrup was that it left my crotch too low for my far leg to clear the horse's back. It seems that as a mounting aid for trail riding, this would have the same problem. If it is low enough to make it easier to 'get up', then won't your 'get up' be too low to 'get over'?

PerchiesKisses 02-28-2012 07:18 PM

Well I got it, I tried it, and it ended up straight in the box of unused horse tack.

Well not a horrible idea, I found it wasn't practical. I had to remove the stirrup in order to feed it through properly, and after that reattach it... it also was barely long enough to fit around my gelding - who isn't a terribly wide horse.

I'm not exactly the lightest person going either, and as some of you suggested, my weight caused the strap to tighten and also I found it pulled on his withers, no matter how I tried to place my weight and adjust the positioning of the strap on his barrel.

The fanny pack it came with was nice, and the strap did fit nicely into it, but for the extra effort I had to afford to rolling the **** thing up again once on the horse, I found it wasn't worth it.

All-in-all, while in theory the Bare-up Mounting Aid is an interesting idea, I found it didn't work like I'd hoped, and wouldn't recommend anyone purchasing it for future reference.