The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   i gave my horse a shock (

Librahorsegal 11-19-2011 08:33 PM

i gave my horse a shock
So the other day i was untacking my horse. After i took off the sadde pad..i walked around my horse to the front and went to pat him on the nose...but then i ended up giving him a shock.:-o

I felt so bad... He must of jumped 5 feet in in the air after i touched him.

Then he snorted a bit. It was funny and sad at the same time.

has anybody here ever give there horse a shock in the winter time? if so , what happened? did your horse get over it?

VT Trail Trotters 11-19-2011 08:37 PM

Thats a crazy story, not given a horse a shock but my friend took a spark plug tester and put in in a small engine pulled the cord and got a good shock and MAN it was hilarious and he was laughing .

Lins 11-19-2011 08:49 PM

Happened to my horse and I! He jumped, backed away from me and was leery of me for 3 days!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Librahorsegal 11-19-2011 08:51 PM

3 days?? wow... must of been some shock..

Lins 11-19-2011 09:02 PM

He had some brain damage, so he thought differently. He was a very odd animal, but probably the most amazing horse I will ever own.
Posted via Mobile Device

SarahAnn 11-19-2011 09:03 PM

I have actually shocked a few of mine when we got our new polywire tape fencing. We'd only used wood before, so I wasn't used to it and kept forgetting to unplug it before I went out to bring the horses in. The first time was with my Percheron, but she happened to be trying to push me around (testing her limits as a 2 year old) and she just barely pushed me into the fence, I put my elbow into her just as I touched the fence and wow! It went right through me and got her on her neck! She hasn't tried pushing me since! She knows I have the power to shock...

I also got my stallion in the chin when I was trying to put on his halter and I leaned into the fence. My fault. I felt bad. He took off running faster then I have ever seen him go! He got over it in a couple days tho.

Similar story with my gelding. He got over it too. Although every now and then he tries to use it as an excuse to not come to the gate when its time to come in. I say "ok, fine. Everyone will eat without you." Oh boy, then he comes running!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 11-19-2011 11:44 PM

Psh, Sunny gets shocked about 500 times a day! We have super dry winters, so there is always lots of static.

Poor Sun is used to it. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Koolio 11-20-2011 03:00 PM

About a month ago, this was a huge problem for me. First off, we acquired a third horse this summer and my Arab gelding is quite jealous. Next, through bad luck and sheer clumsiness, I shocked him and myself on the electric fence on about three different occasions. I backed my elbow just close enough to the fence to close the circuit, shocking him while brushing, giving a treat and haltering. After that, the weather got quite cool and very dry and every time I would touch him, I'd shock him with static buildup. I never shocked the other two horses, so I think it had to do with him dragging his feet a bit, building up static. By this time, he wouldn't even come near me :(

I tried everything from putting lotion on my hands or spitting on them to wet them before touching him, to touching metal before touching him, to carrying a bounce sheet in my pocket, to spraying him with coat conditioner every day, and adding flax to his feed. I walked like a chicken when I went down to see him to be sure I don't drag my boots on the ground and build up static. Now that it has snowed and there is some moisture in the air, the problem has stopped. I've been hand feeding him treats for a month to get him more comfortable with me touching him again. He's finally getting better, but what a horrible feeling!

Sunny 11-20-2011 06:39 PM

^ Wear gloves! That's all I know that works. :wink:
Posted via Mobile Device

sarahkgamble 11-21-2011 02:05 PM

In SC we have very bipolar weather. It's November & I'm going to be wearing shorts to the barn today. Last week, however, I couldn't go out there without layers!

When it's been cold and dry, I can feel the static when I'm petting Shamrock. It doesn't seem to bother him, because he hasn't gotten shocked badly. I'm not going to enjoy the day when I do shock him. He tends to be a baby about everything. :P

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome