The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   ARG! How can I make her realize? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/arg-how-can-i-make-her-10393/)

SonnyWimps 06-20-2008 11:30 PM

ARG! How can I make her realize?

As some of you know I train the horses for the BO, teaching them to jump, etc. Well my friend Gabby and I have trained this one horse named Chewy to jump...we got him soooo far and he WAS great at it.

Then a girl (we'll call her Mandi...no that isn't her real name) started riding Chewy when I bought Sonny. I just got on him on Thursday and OMG he was HORRIBLE! He was the total opposite of what he was when I last got on him.

I started thinking about things and just realized it is Mandi that is teaching the horses she rides bad habits, without realizing it more than likely...but ALL the horses she's ridden have devolped bad habits like not standing to be mounted or bucking.

How can I make her realize that she can't continue to ride a inexprienced horse and teach him bad habits as I'm trying to teach him not to...it's sooo confusing for poor Chewy!!
Any ideas?

Originally we all made up a list with one horse we'd work with...and I got Chewy, so I thought maybe if we just stuck to the original list that it would solve the problem...I'd be riding Chewy and would be able to fix him. But she won't have any of it. Chewy is "hers" as she says.

Hheellpp

Note: Yes I WILL be talking to the BO about this, but I would like to be able to make the girl understand without making too much bad blood between us

Jubilee Rose 06-21-2008 12:08 AM

Wow, why does this seem to happen time and time again? Some people are so incurably ignorant around horses. It drives me nuts! Don't tell me this is the same girl who was teaching that horse to rear! Definitely talk to the BO immediately, which I know you plan to. Also, I think the best thing you can do is be straight-up with her. Just tell it to her like it is. Don't be rude, but tell her you don't think she should be dealing with Chewy. Actually ... haha, come to think of it, I don't know if I would have to nerve to say that to someone myself. Arrgg its so hard in situations like this. All I can suggest is that the barn manager should have a talk with her.

Poor horse .... :?

My2Geldings 06-21-2008 03:57 AM

Re: ARG! How can I make her realize?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps
As some of you know I train the horses for the BO, teaching them to jump, etc. Well my friend Gabby and I have trained this one horse named Chewy to jump...we got him soooo far and he WAS great at it.

Then a girl (we'll call her Mandi...no that isn't her real name) started riding Chewy when I bought Sonny. I just got on him on Thursday and OMG he was HORRIBLE! He was the total opposite of what he was when I last got on him.

I started thinking about things and just realized it is Mandi that is teaching the horses she rides bad habits, without realizing it more than likely...but ALL the horses she's ridden have devolped bad habits like not standing to be mounted or bucking.

How can I make her realize that she can't continue to ride a inexprienced horse and teach him bad habits as I'm trying to teach him not to...it's sooo confusing for poor Chewy!!
Any ideas?

Originally we all made up a list with one horse we'd work with...and I got Chewy, so I thought maybe if we just stuck to the original list that it would solve the problem...I'd be riding Chewy and would be able to fix him. But she won't have any of it. Chewy is "hers" as she says.

Hheellpp

Note: Yes I WILL be talking to the BO about this, but I would like to be able to make the girl understand without making too much bad blood between us

Who's horse is this? This is an unfortunate circumstance but if I don't you are really in a position where you can do to much.

If this horse is owned by the BO then assuming that this rider is a child (or under 18) you could assume she isn't realising how much damage she is doing, and then brining it up to your BO might be a good idea, otherwise there really isn't much you can do.

SonnyWimps 06-21-2008 09:23 AM

Jubliee, yes this is the same girl that wanted to teach one of the horses she rode to rear

M2G, I believe she's around 12...she's defiantely not anywhere near 18

I mean I doubt there is anything I can do to make her realize it, and also the BO doesn't like just having one person work with that horse to fix them or train them....she hired a lady to come out to train a green horse of hers...well the lady didn't want anyone else to ride the horse while she was working with her (which I fully agree with the lady and didn't ride that horse at all) but the BO said anyone could ride the horse

I think that what I may just end up doing it letting the girl away, get the BO aware that every horse that girl rides they get a bad habit or get something wrong...and then explain to the BO that unless the girl learns how to ride or just sticks to one horse that isn't impressionable and she can't ruin that easily. Hopefully the BO will understand...

Usually I'll let some of the kids ride Sonny while I am there...but I'm going to tell the girl that she isn't allowed to ride him anymore because I don't want him to get all those bad habits

It's soooooo annoying though....cause I know what the BO will say about the whole matter "If you want to stop ____________ from riding Chewy, then you buy him" and if I had the money I would buy him, but I don't have enough to board another horse and have vet/farrier bills on top of that. If the BO would surprise me and say she'd charge me $200 board for each horse then I'd grab Chewy without second thought but until then there probably is no way that I can just be the only one working with Chewy...or at least just have it be me and my friend Gabby.

I think what I'll have to do is teach another horse how to jump...one that Mandi doesn't like and that would solve the problem...but there really isn't too many other horses that I enjoy riding that she doesn't like.

My2Geldings 06-21-2008 10:45 AM

Well it looks like you've answered your own question :wink:

It is unfortunate. I have seen so many brilliant horses get sold to rich clueless riders whom ended up destroying the poor animal. It's unfortunate. It seems that if your trainer would react the way that you described in your post then there really isn't much you can do.

Poor animal.

SonnyWimps 06-21-2008 02:24 PM

yeah it's sooo sad. He's a great horse and has sooooo much potentional as a jumper and he'll just get totally ruined

Here's a picture of him and me...not the best picture but still hehe
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/31...ping_005_1.jpg

My2Geldings 06-22-2008 09:32 PM

Beautiful horse :)

horsey*kisses 06-22-2008 11:18 PM

that makes me mad,
i would corner her lol and 'calmly' explain that if she doesnt get her act together and learn how to ride this horse...chewy? (we had a horse named chewy, only it was spelled chuie)...then...your gonna do something lol use your imagination
or after explaining the situation offer to teach her how to deal with the horses and learn how to ride them correctly
...i had another idea but...its inappropriate :D
good luck!