The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Tips for Take your own line (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/tips-take-your-own-line-103946/)

Starshing 11-20-2011 06:15 AM

Tips for Take your own line

First of all what are the basic rules, asked all the jumpers i know and they just contradicted each other so i'm really confused. also what are some hints on the best way to do it?

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-21-2011 08:12 AM

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking..?

Allison Finch 11-21-2011 08:19 AM

I don't know what you are asking either.

Are you asking what a person uses to decide on what line or approach they use for jumping lines? Your approaches and turns are made fully knowing your horse's athletic ability and the length of stride. A rider should use subtly different lines on every horse they ride. Riding "cookie cutter" lines with every horse is a recipe for bad jumping technique.

BornToRun 11-21-2011 08:52 AM

Whaaaa?

gypsygirl 11-21-2011 09:15 PM

i think shes talking about the kind of class where all the jumps are set up to be jumped both ways and you make your own course. the goal is to jump clean, jump all the jumps [or a certain number of jumps], and have the fastest time.

blue eyed pony 11-22-2011 01:38 AM

Gypsygirl that is my exact understanding of take your own line.

We don't often have it but it's a great way to test your know-how. If you often succeed in take your own line classes then you will have good spacial awareness that allows you to take the shortest line to every jump and choose the course that will cover the least amount of ground.

Starshing 11-22-2011 06:06 AM

sorry, all i know about take your own line is that jumps are set up in a ring, and you have to figure out your own course, jumping all the jumps in under two minutes, but that's all i know and like anything horse related, it has to be more complicated than that!

maura 11-22-2011 07:05 AM

It's sounds like a variation of Gambler's Choice around here, the fences have a point value, and your strategy involves jumping the high point value fences as early and often as possible.

My approach would be first, to look for the obvious direct routes and related fences, and then start looking for places where I can cut the turns more agressively and save time.

I'd also keep normal course design considerations in effect - I wouldn't want to start my course with a maximum oxer or a combination, I'd look for 2 - 3 relatively easy fences to start with, maybe with related distances, and then add in the more difficult elements.

I would also bring a pad or whiteboard, and draw the fences as soon as they're set. I'm a very visual learner, so I would need to draw and redraw the possible line and course options until I felt I had the best one.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Starshing 11-22-2011 07:16 AM

thanks, thats a really good idea! will do, we're doing 2 regular classes and the take your own line, the hit and hurry was too high.
another quick question, i thought i knew what crossing your tracks was, but someone said something about it the other day and confused me, what exactly does it mean?

gypsygirl 11-22-2011 07:48 AM

it basically means circling. if you circle between jumps that is counted as a refusal, because you cant cross your own path. if you cross a path you have already taken but you have jumped a jump it doesnt count as crossing your path - like if you did a jump on a rollback turn you would probably cross your path, but not until after you have jumped the jump. im not sure how to explain it with out physically showing you so i hope this makes sense !!