The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   To Gaited Horse Owners.... (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaited-horse-owners-103974/)

csimkunas6 11-20-2011 02:46 PM

To Gaited Horse Owners....

Before I bought Rodeo, I went and looked at a 5month old Tenn. Walking Horse/Spotted Saddle Horse colt, he was gorgeous, just wasnt the horse for me.....BUT

I rode a Tenn Walker today for the first time, and I must say, I am in love!!!! I love it!! If I am able to purchase a second horse, I wont think twice about going Gaited!!!

LOL...just had to share!! I sore as can be, but considering I havent ridden in 5+months, how could I not be after going on a 2 hour ride?

I completely see how all of you love Gaited Breeds!

Thanks for reading :D

equiniphile 11-20-2011 02:48 PM

Oh yes, I love the gaited breeds. Never ridden a TWH, but I've owned a Paso Fino and a Missouri Fox Trotter.

Brighteyes 11-20-2011 02:52 PM

Lovely! A convert! :D I love gaited horses. I have a SSH, who is hell to keep in her gait but smooth when she cooperates. I've ridden two Walkers who actually walk and a good share of rackers. I hopped on a fox trotter once. They're fun rides.

csimkunas6 11-20-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1239235)
Oh yes, I love the gaited breeds. Never ridden a TWH, but I've owned a Paso Fino and a Missouri Fox Trotter.

Paso is next for me, found a woman when I was out the other day that has two Pasos.....gave me her number and told me to give her a call to go and ride!! Loved every second of it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 1239240)
Lovely! A convert! :D I love gaited horses. I have a SSH, who is hell to keep in her gait but smooth when she cooperates. I've ridden two Walkers who actually walk and a good share of rackers. I hopped on a fox trotter once. They're fun rides.

Dont get me wrong, I love to post on non-gaited breeds, love trotting, love cantering, ect, ect, but since my little guy isnt going to be ready for another year or so, I think a Gaited Breed would be just the horse for me until that time comes for him to be ridden!

But yes, VERY fun for sure!

Darrin 11-20-2011 03:05 PM

We had a couple horses on the farm growing up, did some riding but not a lot. Later in life I was thinking of getting into horses because so many areas were being closed to motorcycles and 4 wheelers. I borrowed an appy from my cousin to go riding with some friends who had walkers, after a 2 hr trail ride I couldn't walk for a week. Next trip I borrowed a walker, after a 4 hr trail ride I hopped off and wasn't sore at all and could of gone again.

Lets just say my mind was made up at that moment.

csimkunas6 11-20-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 1239255)
We had a couple horses on the farm growing up, did some riding but not a lot. Later in life I was thinking of getting into horses because so many areas were being closed to motorcycles and 4 wheelers. I borrowed an appy from my cousin to go riding with some friends who had walkers, after a 2 hr trail ride I couldn't walk for a week. Next trip I borrowed a walker, after a 4 hr trail ride I hopped off and wasn't sore at all and could of gone again.

Lets just say my mind was made up at that moment.

LOL!!!

Thats great! Ive always loved their confo, and their temperament, from the one's Ive met. Always loved their gait as well. There is one other Tenn Walker I have the opportunity to ride, from what Ive been told, is like a Cadillac, even to the Walker I rode today. The Walker's I rode today has been ran, his owner runs him more than gaits him, which is a shame, because he really is a nice mover!

MajorSealstheDeal 11-20-2011 08:22 PM

"Ride one today, buy one tomorrow".

trailhorserider 11-20-2011 08:58 PM

Sometimes when I am riding with my QH friends I forget how much fun my Missouri Fox Trotter is, because we just walk. Then today I went out by myself and had a BLAST! We flat walked and gaited all over the place! What a great ride!

My girl isn't set in her gaits very well, so we drift in and out of all sort of funky gaits (she was mainly a broodmare and I am new to gaited horses) but I just get the stupidest grin when we are out there having fun! Even the hard pace, as rough as that is, feels so funky when you are used to trotting horses! I just about giggle. I swear within about 5 minutes we can go through the following gaits: flat walk, fox trot, stepping pace, hard pace, running walk (my favorite and I hardly ever get it) and the canter. Sometimes we do a canter-pace combination. I know the mish-mash isn't something to be proud of, but she is 17 and I am happy with her just the way she is. And the main thing is it is FUN!

If you asked me which horse of mine was the best trained I would have to say my Mustang. But if you asked which one was the most fun to ride, it would be the Fox Trotter. :lol:

It would be really cool if her 1/2 QH foal was gaited, but right now I am not seeing it. But he does have a great fast walk, he can keep up with his mom, so maybe some of the gaited blood will show through.

I would own a trotting horse again because I love all horses. But it would be icing on the cake if my next trail horse were gaited. :mrgreen:

csimkunas6 11-20-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhorserider (Post 1239599)
Sometimes when I am riding with my QH friends I forget how much fun my Missouri Fox Trotter is, because we just walk. Then today I went out by myself and had a BLAST! We flat walked and gaited all over the place! What a great ride!

My girl isn't set in her gaits very well, so we drift in and out of all sort of funky gaits (she was mainly a broodmare and I am new to gaited horses) but I just get the stupidest grin when we are out there having fun! Even the hard pace, as rough as that is, feels so funky when you are used to trotting horses! I just about giggle. I swear within about 5 minutes we can go through the following gaits: flat walk, fox trot, stepping pace, hard pace, running walk (my favorite and I hardly ever get it) and the canter. Sometimes we do a canter-pace combination. I know the mish-mash isn't something to be proud of, but she is 17 and I am happy with her just the way she is. And the main thing is it is FUN!

If you asked me which horse of mine was the best trained I would have to say my Mustang. But if you asked which one was the most fun to ride, it would be the Fox Trotter. :lol:

It would be really cool if her 1/2 QH foal was gaited, but right now I am not seeing it. But he does have a great fast walk, he can keep up with his mom, so maybe some of the gaited blood will show through.

I would own a trotting horse again because I love all horses. But it would be icing on the cake if my next trail horse were gaited. :mrgreen:

Im not going to lie, I had a HUGE grin on my face once he started to gait, and move out a bit. I really wanted to let him go for it, and really feel the gait, but from what the other riders had told me, to really experience the true gait, I need to ride the other Tenn Walker that is available for me to ride. Whatever he was doing, it was funky, strange, exciting, comfy, and exciting all at once, and I loved it!!! I think owning a Gaited, and a non-gaited would be just the thing for me! :D

Darrin 11-20-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csimkunas6 (Post 1239605)
Im not going to lie, I had a HUGE grin on my face once he started to gait, and move out a bit. I really wanted to let him go for it, and really feel the gait, but from what the other riders had told me, to really experience the true gait, I need to ride the other Tenn Walker that is available for me to ride. Whatever he was doing, it was funky, strange, exciting, comfy, and exciting all at once, and I loved it!!! I think owning a Gaited, and a non-gaited would be just the thing for me! :D

Not all gaited horses are created equal. Some just flat out gait better then others. Once you taste a truly naturally gaited horses that is smooth as glass you'll have one heck of a time riding anything else.