The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   "horizontal" hoof cracking (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/horizontal-hoof-cracking-103975/)

a11farm 11-20-2011 03:54 PM

"horizontal" hoof cracking

I have a fifteen year old stallion that, like a lot of stallions, paces the fence. I put him out one afternoon and when I went to put him up he was lame, extremely lame. Couldn't stand to put his left front on the ground and was litterly hoping on three legs. I called the farrier and he checked for gravel or abcesses, punture ect, but there was nothing. While working on him he expressed that he had a little thrush so we poured Coppertox in the hoof and I held it a min or so then put in down. When he put a little weight on it the Coppertox ran out the crack, horizontally across the hoof about 1/2 inch below the coronet band, starting on both heels, towards the front and lacking 1 1/2 to two inches of completly incircling the hoof. I have left him unshod for over a year, with very limited exercise. His hoof has completly grown out but he is still lame on that foot. Has anyone ever had this happen? What caused this and can I get my horse sound again?

bubba13 11-20-2011 05:57 PM

Has the vet seen this horse?

kevinshorses 11-20-2011 06:36 PM

Or a better farrier than you had before. I hope you got a new farrier after he failed to notice your horses hoof was cracked that badly.

loosie 11-21-2011 03:33 AM

Sounds like your horse has had a major blowout. Agree with above^^ Sounds like there's something major going on with him & would be getting an equine vet & good farrier(ask the vet) to attend.

a11farm 11-21-2011 12:41 PM

I guess I failed to mention I have been raising horses for over 60yrs. In all this time I have never seen a hoof crack "around" the hoof. The crack was completly invisible until the weight of the horse forced the Coppertox through the hairline cracks. My common sense tells me you would not want any traction on that foot, like a shoe, which could cause the hoof wall to crack the rest of the way around, and completly seperate from the foot. I would just like to know what could cause this. Is it stress from all the twisting of the foot from pacing the fence? Thats my guess.
My farrier's ability has nothing to do with the problem. I would like to hear from someone who has experienced this or has seen it. Now that the hoof has grown out completly we put heart bar shoes on him but he is still lame until he gets warmed up.

Trinity3205 11-21-2011 12:51 PM

That sounds to me like he tried to rip he foot off somehow. Tramatic injury. I cant see any other reason for it to encircle the hoof. did he have shoes on at the time? Could he have put his foot rhough a fence and ripped it back? I just rehabbed a horse that tried to deglove the back and side of his foot. Same kind of thing. Just a crap in the wall where it was partially degloved and tore the wall but the caspule stayed on.

a11farm 11-21-2011 01:15 PM

He had no trauma to his foot or leg that we could see. Couldn't even see the crack until the coppertox. My main concern at the time I saw the crack was for it not to crack any further and lose the entire hoof wall, thus he has been stalled for a year with limited exercise. Now that he has shoes I turn him out, and once he gets warmed up he travels good. Kind of like me, it takes time to get movin.

loosie 11-21-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a11farm (Post 1240117)
The crack was completly invisible until the weight of the horse forced the Coppertox through the hairline cracks.

OK. You poured the coppertox on his soles? So there is a lot of separation that allowed the coppertox to go right through? If not, please explain. What did the farrier say / do about the separation? How did the farrier trim when the crack was discovered? What else was done, by you, farrier or vet? Have you had a good vet out to him in the last year? If so, what have they said? If not, I would do so. Hoof pics would help to get more specific idea/info from us mob.

Quote:

My common sense tells me you would not want any traction on that foot, like a shoe... Now that the hoof has grown out completly we put heart bar shoes on him but he is still lame until he gets warmed up.
Why have you shod him? Why with heartbars? Lameness that goes away/lessens with more exercise may not be related to his foot.

Quote:

I would just like to know what could cause this. Is it stress from all the twisting of the foot from pacing the fence?
No, I don't think that would do it, at least not without an underlying problem of which the pacing just exacerbated. Sounds like a massive abscess that's blown out the whole back of the foot. Could have been due to an injury, as Trinity suggested or due to very unhealthy feet, untreated infection, etc, of which a minor trauma, environment, etc may have been the trigger. I've only seen this severe an abscess once, where the whole hoof blew out at the coronet - I think from a laminitic 'attack', but thankfully the wall below was firmly attached & without infection, so it was mainly a matter of trimming to keep the wall unloaded until that area grew out. Also seen a couple of massive subsolar abscesses which have effectively blown the whole sole away, down to the corium.

loosie 11-21-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a11farm (Post 1240157)
He had no trauma to his foot or leg that we could see. Couldn't even see the crack until the coppertox. My main concern at the time I saw the crack was for it not to crack any further and lose the entire hoof wall, thus he has been stalled for a year with limited exercise. Now that he has shoes I turn him out, and once he gets warmed up he travels good. Kind of like me, it takes time to get movin.

It's quite possibly the year of being cooped up, that may have caused him to become arthritic or such. Exercise is very important for horses & if his feet were trimmed appropriately, exercise shouldn't have caused it to worsen.