The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   If I put my name on her registration would she legally be mine? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/if-i-put-my-name-her-103980/)

Eclipse295 11-20-2011 05:44 PM

If I put my name on her registration would she legally be mine?

Okay, I am going to be registering my Appaloosa Mare, It would be under my membership, my mother wouldn't have one, but I am under 18 and live in my mother's house. If my name is on her registration is she legally mine, and would my mother be able to sell my horse, or make any decisions that require it to go through the association or would that be my sole right. She won't have a membership, only I will.

It is the Appaloosa Sport Horse Association if that makes any difference.

WickedNag 11-21-2011 08:06 AM

All of our registered horses are in my daughter's name as well as her car. She is 15. Mine name is on her car also but I am not sure it had to be. Guess I will the the DMV later and find out :)

Mike Zimmerman 11-21-2011 08:32 AM

Your mom's threatening to sell your horse isn't she? What did or didn't you do? Who bought the horse and who pays the bills? I don't think appaloosa sport horse papers will hold up in court if you sue her for selling your horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 11-21-2011 10:13 AM

Since you are under legal age, the court will uphold your mother's decision if she sells your horse. Why would she want to sell it?

Speed Racer 11-21-2011 10:32 AM

What Saddlebag said.

If you're under the age of majority, the animal legally belongs to your legal guardian/parents, regardless of the name on her registration paperwork.

Joe4d 11-21-2011 02:58 PM

Gonna depend on where you live. In VA you cant own anything if you are a minor. It belongs to your parent/legal guardian.

Eclipse295 11-23-2011 10:01 PM

My Mom isn't trying to sell my horse, just when we found the fact we could register my horse we decided we would. But I remember something happened with my cousin were her step dad tried to give away her horse(to his nephew or something) but he couldn't because the horse was in her name. and I am just paranoid that something like that would happen. But thats just me. Anyway, I found out that my mother could sell her but I would have to sign any transfer papers for the registry.

gunslinger 11-24-2011 02:27 PM

I don't think the horse ownership could be changed in the registry without your signature, but ownership and registry are two different things.

Many people buy registered horses and never change the owner listed in the registry.

As stated before, a minor really doesn't own anything.

Makes you want to hurry up and turn 18 doesn't it?