The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Stiff knotted halter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/stiff-knotted-halter-104030/)

Saddlebag 11-21-2011 09:09 AM

Stiff knotted halter

With the arrival of colder weather the knotted halters with a plastic core can become almost impossible to do up as the now very stiff core won't bend as it should. I resolved this by first, warming the halter then cutting off one poll rope strap on the far side. I then tied a single knot in the remaining poll rope and pulled it tight. Now I just slip the knot through the loop and the loop stays hooked on the knot. I was lucky that where I put the knot was in the right place altho it might take a little trial and error. So much easier to halter the horse that decides to make knotting the halter difficult.

DuffyDuck 11-21-2011 09:54 AM

Or put it inside your jacket whilst you sort out other bits like hay, skipping out, getting tack out and it'll be warmed by the time you come to use it ;D

SaddleOnline 11-21-2011 07:07 PM

Nice tip. Thanks.

Personally, this is why I like my buckles :) Gloves + stiff knots = that "look" your horse gives you when you fumble with the halter for 15 minutes as it stands patiently infront of you waiting for you get your act together. lol.

Saddlebag 11-21-2011 07:16 PM

Duffy, on the celsius scale, it was -11 with 20km wind. The halter was so cold I wasn't putting that in my jacket. It was so stiff it looked like it would walk off like a spider if I set it down. It wasn't too bad getting it on the horse and I was glad of the simple knot.

DuffyDuck 11-22-2011 01:20 AM

That cold already??

Where do you live.. I ain't living there haha!

We get down to about -20 oC at our worst, but thats night time temperatures!

And Saddleonline, I know EXACTLY the look you mean ;D They're funny creatures, these horses!

Saddlebag 11-22-2011 06:56 PM

Duffy, that was a cold front that swept across half of Canada starting at the western mountains. Up to +2 today. In the latter part of Jan and thro Feb we'll sometimes get -38C. Doesn't matter what color the horse is, it's white with frost in those temps. They do fine with good wind shelter, lots of hay and fresh water slightly warmed with a little salt.