The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Replacing Billets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/replacing-billets-104050/)

Horseychick94 11-21-2011 12:35 PM

Replacing Billets

I would like to replace the billets on my AP saddle with dressage ones as the buckles of the girth are ruining my saddle flaps and it is also annoying and sometimes painful to have those bulky buckles underneath my leg. I have a friend that would be able to attach them for me. Where would I be able to buy these dressage billets? I would like to buy some.

Saddlebag 11-21-2011 07:09 PM

I highly recommend a saddlemaker does this work. Incorrectly stitched on could result in failure and someone getting hurt.

Horseychick94 11-22-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1240562)
I highly recommend a saddlemaker does this work. Incorrectly stitched on could result in failure and someone getting hurt.

She is qualified. She does everything

Horseychick94 11-23-2011 12:42 PM

anyone else?

Alwaysbehind 11-23-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseychick94 (Post 1241358)
She is qualified. She does everything

In my opinion, if she is qualified she will know where to buy the necessary materials to make it happen.

Putting new billets on your saddle is not the same as doing most other things. It is something that should be done by a professional.

Horseychick94 11-24-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1242325)
In my opinion, if she is qualified she will know where to buy the necessary materials to make it happen.

Putting new billets on your saddle is not the same as doing most other things. It is something that should be done by a professional.

I asked where to find them. All I want is an answer

My Beau 11-25-2011 09:20 AM

Like the others said, most saddlemakers/leather workers who would repair/replace a saddle's billets know where to find them, or can make them. I have never seen billets for sale.

Horseychick94 11-25-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Beau (Post 1243890)
Like the others said, most saddlemakers/leather workers who would repair/replace a saddle's billets know where to find them, or can make them. I have never seen billets for sale.

Its funny because I saw some online somewhere (can't remember where now) but they had wintec ones

maura 11-25-2011 05:21 PM

I have had billets replaced lots of times, and the saddler always provided the billets. I have never seen replacement billets for sale. I do know billets are cut from a certain part of the cowhide for the thickness and the strength and resilence.

If you're determined to go this route, maybe you should find an ususable saddle, like one with a broken tree, and salvage the billets from it?

My Beau 11-25-2011 10:10 PM

OP, why are you getting snippy with us when we are just giving you any advice we have since we don't have an exact answer for you?