The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need help my horse kicked and bucked. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-help-my-horse-kicked-bucked-104071/)

Pat1960 11-21-2011 04:52 PM

Need help my horse kicked and bucked.

I just took my horse Santana home. I took him for a ride and he took off like lightning. I tried to hold him back he started to kick with his back legs and he bucked. He was fighting me all the way to the gate. I got control of him and I made him walk the property several times. As he was stabled a trainer worked with us on the problem. I know he got away with it for several years. The girl who owned him before me was scared of him. He was out in the pasture for seven years.I found that out after I bought him. This is my first horse. I need help with this problem.

He is starting to invade my personal space too.

Poco1220 11-21-2011 04:59 PM

Get a trainer. That's your best bet. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

erino49 11-21-2011 05:18 PM

Pat1960, I was exactly were you are at the beginning of this year. I bought my first horse last November. All was well at first, but by January, my horse started bucking. I was getting really hurt. She started becoming more and more pushy and it was getting worse and worse. I started watching all the training videos I could on training/bucking and tried to work with her myself. It didn't seem to make even a minor improvement. I was terrified of riding her and people told me that I should sell her. Now, almost a year later...My mare is awesome and I have fallen in love with her all over again.

I won't give you the whole story of all the things I tried that failed or trainers I went through. What worked for me was this...I found a trainer that was willing to come to me and get on the horse, then train me on what to do. I talked to and worked with several trainers that wouldn't get on my horse. This was difficult, because I was too scared to. I found a wonderful trainer that would spend half the lesson working on my horse and the other half teaching me how to train her. I found that even though I thought I was doing something the right way from a training video, because I was missing a tiny detail (a correction I needed to make that I missed, the way I held the rope, etc...) the excersize was futile or even making it worse. This trainer had no problem getting on my horse either. When the time came for me to get on my mare (for me it was lesson 4), I had the courage to do so, because my trainer had gotten on and ridden without a problem. After a couple of months, I was riding my horse with no problems. If I notice she is starting to test me, I just go through all the stuff my trainer tought me and my mare is back to being a submissive love bug.

#1 advice - Get a trainer that is not afraid to get on your horse (maybe not in the first training session if she needs to start training at square one). If she is not confident in her training skills, why would you be?
#2 advice - Get a trainer that will take the time to train you. When he or she is gone and your horse starts testing you...what would you do? You will need to know how to stop it immediately or do some groundwork refresher excersizes.

This is just my experience. I am grateful that it worked wonders!

DuffyDuck 11-21-2011 05:20 PM

Also, please get his back and saddle checked out before anything else as this may help to rule out some bad behaviour if he's in pain :)

erino49 11-21-2011 05:29 PM

I also forgot to mention that before my horse started bucking, she started acting up during our riding in the pasture. She wouldn't walk straight, would try to take off, and was just all around difficult. She is testing you and has decided that she is the boss. Don't worry...with the help of a good trainer, you will hopefully be back on track soon.

Pat1960 11-21-2011 05:46 PM

His back was check by my veterinarian. His saddle and pad fit perfect.

DuffyDuck 11-21-2011 05:49 PM

In which case Pat, take the advice given and get yourself a trainer for you and the horse.. hopefully this is a behaviour your horse has learnt with the previous owner, and with some time and some work you'll be able to get him out of it!

GL

Pat1960 11-21-2011 05:49 PM

The trainer where he was stabled is excellent. I'll call him and ask him if he is available to continue training at my house.

bubba13 11-21-2011 05:50 PM

Training for him and riding lessons for you, I'm afraid. It's a fixable issue, but it's going to take time and work, and it's not really safe for you to try to work out on your own.

MyBoyPuck 11-21-2011 11:19 PM

A good trainer can fix this, but make sure the trainer can also teach you how to keep it fixed. Don't attempt to fix it yourself. No sense in getting hurt when it's completely fixable with the right tools.