The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Scary Jumps? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/scary-jumps-104137/)

JaneyWaney9 11-22-2011 12:34 PM

Scary Jumps?

I'm training my horse to show jump, and I'm building standards and finding stuff around the house to jump with.

What are some good ideas to make scary jumps? (SAFE, just scary looking for the horse)
If you suggest painting them, what are good colors to use?

PumpkinzMyBaby22 11-24-2011 01:48 AM

You can use anything. False flowers, to towels, fluorescent shirts, and like you said - paint. I would use any bright color that you can find! Red, blue green etc. If you Google show jumping pictures, you can get ideas about what colors are most commonly found, and what type of fillers are used.

sjnunes 11-25-2011 01:36 PM

The horse I ride if often afraid of pumpkins. We have some under jumps and he thinks they are going to explode right underneath him.

I also found that mis-patterned dark planks spook a couple of horses at my barn.

lilkitty90 11-28-2011 08:22 PM

put poles through the loops on plastic bags and set them up. on a windy day this will really be a challenge to overcome!

Saddlebag 11-28-2011 08:39 PM

Horses see colors differently that us, that is why jumps are commonly white and red. This helps the horse discern a jump from the ground. Keep in mind that once things are beyond about 3' in front of his nose, his vision becomes a bit like a cameral a little out of focus. Other than seeking the next nibble of grass, his eyesight detects movement but he can't necessarily make out what it is - thus he spooks or bolts.

mselizabeth 12-04-2011 01:39 AM

Anything that moves in the wind. Like the bags mentioned above, a flag, or if your feeling brave... a tarp!

Lifeofriley 12-05-2011 05:33 AM

Something airy! Having only a couple of poles in a jump is quite often a rider spook as well as it 'looks' scary, the same as liverpools.

Alcatrazjmpr 12-11-2011 09:44 PM

Use anythings solid. We used to gather the christmas tress people threw out trim them down a little and put them under the fences, we also used corn stalks, build roll tops with wood from the hardware store, used coolers, sheets, etc.

gypsygirl 12-11-2011 09:53 PM

sometimes we will put just one glove on the pole of the jump..some horses dont care, but some horses will freak !