The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from Southern California! (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-southern-california-104154/)

SoCalCowgirl 11-22-2011 05:15 PM

Hello from Southern California!

Where to begin?!

Well i'm 22 been riding all my life. I originally started western pleasure then moved to Hunter/Jumper after my first two years of riding now I'm back to western pleasure, what are the odds of that! I'm currently going to college for a degree in English Lit with a focus on Writing.

My current horse is Nick, my Thoroughbred gelding. I got him when he was 3 1/2 at a rescue facility and have now owned him for 7 years. He was a crippled straight off the track race horse. Turned out it was just an abcess, nursed him back to health and trained him to be a hunter/jumper. He was an amazing hunter he pretty much won at nearly every show he went to with shows ranging from C our County shows to AAA. At age 5 he fell down in the turnout and fractured his right hip bone. After layup he returned back to normal and continued winning and juming. At age 6 his hunter/jumper carrer was cut short due to severe navicular in his left front knee. On a scale of 1-5 he was a 4 1/2 and was completley crippled and couldn't even walk. We tried everything we could to get him sound and capable of jumping again, nothin worrked, we tried everything from changing shoes to shock treatment. Then we took all shoes off and sent him to pasture where he recovered from from navicular after 6 months. He is no longer able to jump but here we are 4 years later and doing pretty great considering everything. He's sound on just normal flat shoes and Recovery Eq.

Now I am currently training him to become a western pleasure horse which he seems to have huge potential in, and this is where I am going to be needing your guy's help which i'll post another thread. Now before you go on saying, he's a Thoroughbred he can't do western pleasure, he's not your typical Thoroughbred. He is built very similar to the quarter horses. He is a very compact stocky and thick body type. My vet who has a lot of experiences with Thoroughbreds says he's of Northern Dancer lineage which is a Canadain Thoroughbred line known for the more stocky body type. Unfortuantly I don't have any recent pictures or videos yet due to the terrible weather we've been having but i'll be sure to post some in time.

We'll sorry for the novel but my horse and I have been through a lot, both during the good and bad times. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

BornToRun 11-22-2011 05:22 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forum! I'm sure your horse will make an amazing WP, any horse can do anything!

SoCalCowgirl 11-22-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1241470)
Hi there, welcome to the forum! I'm sure your horse will make an amazing WP, any horse can do anything!

Thanks! I've only been training him western pleasure for the past 3 weeks so we have a long way to go :) And with all this rain we've been having there hasn't been much riding time. But I try to ride him any chance I get.

And I did find an old youtube video that I forgot about of him over the summer :)

BornToRun 11-22-2011 06:25 PM

Wow, he looks great. It looked like was having lots of fun!