The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Dressage Saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/dressage-saddles-104176/)

MyBoyPuck 11-22-2011 10:22 PM

Dressage Saddles?

I'm beginning to look for a dressage saddle. I have no clue where to start. I'm looking for something mid range, leather, no more than $1500 or so. To get around my price limits, I'll buy used if I can find a good deal, but so far don't even know what brands I should be looking into. I could really use some recomendations on what brands I should be at. I'm mostly leg, looking for a deep seat, but not your typical vice grip dressage saddle where you can't move. Any input would be appreciated. Horse is a TB, so it would have to be brand that offers a narrow gullet/medium tree model.

Shasta1981 11-22-2011 11:33 PM

You should look at kieffer. I have one and it fits my TB well. It has a cut back which helps with the high withers.

MyBoyPuck 11-22-2011 11:44 PM

Which model do you have? Are they wool flocked?

caseymyhorserocks 11-22-2011 11:45 PM

Stubben... I use wintec, but stubbens are nice.

Shasta1981 11-23-2011 12:04 AM

I have a lech dl. Yep, they have wool panels. One thing to think about is if you want blockers. The lech dl has large thigh blocks. Some people hate large blockers but i have grown to like them!

I always forget about stubben but another rider at my barn uses a stubben for her TB and it also fits him well. It's very comfy too.

kitten_Val 11-23-2011 11:53 AM

MBP, (as you know I'm positive) it'll depend on horse a lot what we can suggest.

I have Thornhill Vienna that was the best fit out of bunch I tried (including pricey used Black Country). It's under $1000, but nice quality, put in good position (in fact one of the very few saddles that do for me), and it's wool flocked (I had it re-flocked just couple months back because my horses changed so much in work). Their Klasse is even nicer (but wider too for the same tree size). I also really liked MT (although my fitter didn't quite like the billets there). BUT my horses are on wider side (even TB-background paint).

If your TB is on more narrow side I'd rather look into Stubben and Passier (neither was a good option for my mares). I've seen "looking like new" Stubben in my local consignment store for just $1000 (I borrowed just because it looked so good for the price, but it was (expectantly) bad fit).

~*~anebel~*~ 11-23-2011 12:09 PM

KN are also a nice fit.
For my mums high withered, low backed horse she found a stubben that fit perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 11-23-2011 12:40 PM

What size seat do you need? I have a beautiful Courbette Luxor with a 31cm tree and a 17" seat for sale. It fits my Thoroughbreds very well but, unfortunately, is too big for me. Retails at $1750, asking $850

http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equip...dition-102677/

With Grace 11-23-2011 01:16 PM

I also am long in the leg and ride a high withered TB. I found a used KN that had been ridden in only a few times for $1200 and it fits us both beautifully. $1500 was my ceiling as well, but I was determined to find a high quality saddle so kept looking in the used market. I also tried a Stubben, which fit me well, but wasn't a great fit on the horse. I have heard that many Stubbens on the used market need reflocking to fit well, and that was definitely the case with the Stubben I had out on trial.