The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Different ways to ask for a canter (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/different-ways-ask-canter-104177/)

barnbumcarie 11-22-2011 10:26 PM

Different ways to ask for a canter

I have been riding forever lol but, I rode a 7/8 arab 1/8 tennesse walker and he was a park horse. I now have a 1/2 morgan 1/2 quarter horse that is all western. I tried to put an english saddle on him and he wants no part of it :) so my dilemma is how do I ask him to canter? I have gotten him to do it a few times and he is smooth as glass but don't know what I did to get it. His ques are totally different than my old horse. I was spoiled and had him till I put him down at 28 so I was very spoiled and never really rode any other horses, and if I did they were all saddleseat. Please help :shock: I feel silly. He gets upset with me because I am confusing him :cry:. Thanks Carie and Mick

twh 11-24-2011 05:56 PM

What was the QH/Morgan used for before you got him? How old is he?
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 11-24-2011 06:19 PM

Is there any way you can contact his old owners and ask them the cues that they used on him?

barnbumcarie 11-24-2011 10:32 PM

he was pretty much just a pet but I did have someone ride him a few times and they said he must have had some schooling. The owners traded him to a bad barn owner to breed their mare to the barn owner stallion and that is all I know. He is 13. I have video of him being born. I was told he used to buck the old owners off but he has never (knock on wood) tried to buck while I rode him. He has a soft mouth and a nice easy walk and jog. I just can't get him onto a canter. He is a lil spooky and looks for confidance from his rider. He does not seem to like an english saddle at all. He moves fine in his pasture no lamness issues that I can see, I don't think it is a back issue. If he gets naughty lol a tiny tap with his rein if all that is needed and a no and he is fine. He has pretty good manners. He was starved at the farm that I got him and he was a little food agressive but now that I have him fat and healthy no issues with anything like that. I used to que my old horse by turning his head towards the rail and using a little rail side heal and he would be off but I am not sure what to do with this guy.

tinyliny 11-25-2011 02:07 AM

I am sure that if he dislikes the saddle, it's not due to it being an English saddle, but rather to it being an ill-fitting English saddle. get a well-fitting one, and he'll be as happy in it as in any saddle. But you'll have to learn how to balance in it, becasue that might also be his reason for not liking it; your way of riding in it.

barnbumcarie 11-25-2011 11:57 AM

I have a rocking r western saddle and he is fine in it. I also have a Crosby med/ reg tree and another HDR wide tree. The HDR fits him but he really is more of a western horse. He seems a natural at being slow and smooth. He likes to work just has a hard time picking up the lope/canter. I ask and he goes off into a very fast trot. I pull him down and ask again and again fast trot. I always long line him first under tack for a few mins and he picks up the canter fine. I just think I am asking wrong. If I could get a few ideas on how to ask for a canter/lope under saddle I could try them.

barnbumcarie 11-26-2011 08:07 PM

I just found a new Chiropractor for my horse and will be calling to have her come out soon. I was working him today and did see that he may be having an issue in his hind end going clockwise. Worked on bending and after he warmed up he seem to be ok. I am going to have him cked anyway.

flytobecat 11-26-2011 08:15 PM

What kind of cues are using to try and move him up into a canter?
Are you doing it from a walk, trot, etc..?

barnbumcarie 11-26-2011 11:27 PM

I ask him from the trot. I think it is easiest for them? My old horses que was to tip his nose to the rail and nudge him with the outside leg. It does not work on Mick tho. Just not sure what to do. Just looking to find out how others ask their horses for the canter. After I lost my old boy to a melanoma at age 28 I was so heartbroken I got out of horses for a few yrs.
When I found Mick I told the barn owner I wanted the biggest ugliest horse they had, out came Mick. He is no way ugly but they did not like him because he was not all quarter horse. They starved him because he is a "mutt". I took him and he is the smoothest horse I have ever ridden/ I want so much to help us figure each other out. just looking for a few pointers.

flytobecat 11-27-2011 10:03 PM

I squeeze with my upper legs and push forward with my seat then give a little clucking noise to ask for a canter