The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Tips for gaining weight on your horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/tips-gaining-weight-your-horse-104182/)

caseymyhorserocks 11-22-2011 10:00 PM

Tips for gaining weight on your horse

About every like four threads there is a thread wondering how they can gain weight on their horse. Every thread basically gets the same answers from the same people, and I must say, it does get tiring posting the same thing, over and over and over again. So, here you go.

1) First step, have the vet out to check their teeth for any sharp edges that may be hurting your horse and causing weight loss.

2) Bring some fresh manure to the vet to do a fecal egg check for any worms.

3) Provide free choice hay or grass, unless the grass is very rich, provide a couple pounds of hay for warmth in winter and to make up for low nutrient level in grass in summer.

4) Put horse on high fiber and fat diet, I recommend beet pulp and rice bran, and alfalfa pellets or cubes if the first two are taking awhile to kick in. Make sure you introduce it slowly!

5) Keep feeding grain/hay until the horse gains weight.

If anyone has any other tips feel free to share!

caseymyhorserocks 11-23-2011 12:53 AM

Bump...

WildAcreFarms 11-26-2011 09:22 PM

good tips

I add some extra fat to the feed for hard keepers. I use Cool calories but any veggie derived fat will work I think. i've used olive and corn oil but t he cool calories is just cheaper and in an easy form to use.

as I've posted MANY times If you horse is a TB they pretty much all need something for ulcers. I have had great luck with smart pack ultra digest.

Basically you need to get their Calories UP. (at least in the case of skinny TBs) they will eat about 4 times what you are used to feeding Quarter horses, Arabs and such. I was SHOCKED by how much they eat.....

xxGallopxx 12-03-2011 06:49 PM

If your horse still has a hard time gaining weight, use a weight builder such as Farnam Weight Builder. I highly recommend it. You could also experiment with different kinds of grains, and see which your horse does best on, considering their age, size, and work load. Just remember to introduce new supplements and grain slowly. (: And wean your horse off of supplements gradually too. You don't want to give your horse 8oz of weight builder, and then just stop one day.

Peggysue 12-03-2011 10:28 PM

don't forget the NUTRITION aspect of feeding and reducing or eliminating as many sugars and starches as possible.

High fiber and High fat means to reduce cereal grains like oats, corn and barley

Puddintat 12-12-2011 05:57 PM

Quick question regarding weight gain. My horse got extra tubby over the summer and his grain was lowered. He lost weight and maintained wonderfully. I asked my BO to increase his grain when it started to get cold. Now, I think he is a bit ribby. He's not emaciated but I think he could use a bit more weight. My BO usually recommends beet pulp. I've also heard of just added rice bran. Your posts suggests both. Is it okay just to use one and if I did which one is better? I really should get a pic so you guys could see how he looks. Any help would be great! BTW, he's probably on a so-so grain but right now financially I can't afford to get him something better. I feel bad about that but it's either he eat that or I can't afford him at all. I do make sure that he has excellent hay and he gets plenty a day and I add supplements for joints, hoof, and electrolytes.

Peggysue 12-13-2011 08:18 AM

Puddintat I would start with Rice Bran at about 1/2 lb aday then increase to 1lb after about a week or so.

a Ration Balancer would cost about 50 cents a day and you could do away with the hoof and electrolytes with it

so rice Bran and Ration Balancer combined would be about $1 a day maybe the BO will give you discounted board if you provide your own feed

Joe4d 12-13-2011 08:41 AM

well if you ride your horse to Burger King alot and drink beer from your insulated saddle bag coolers you'll tend to pack it on over time.

caseymyhorserocks 12-13-2011 09:20 PM

Well, if you do one, I would recommend Rice Bran, it does help a bit more, although a bit more expensive, you will have to feed a lot of the beet pulp if you are only using beet pulp. Once he gains weight, and is at a healthy weight, I would feed beet pulp, it is one of the cheapest grains, and helps a lot maintaining a healthy weight.

I feed rice bran in summer, only a handful to get her to eat her selenium supplement, and beet pulp and rice bran in summer, she is a hard keeper in winter but a way easy keeper in summer, although she is worked hard in summer and lightly in winter. I feed beet pulp just to help maintain weight a bit more, due to the fiber, and to keep her warm, also due to fiber.