The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Does This horse look lame?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/does-horse-look-lame-104209/)

EthanQ 11-23-2011 08:18 AM

Does This horse look lame??

This is Frank. He has recently be in light training with reining and this video is over a week old but I didn't realize how lame he looks until watching the video. Any input on this?

iridehorses 11-23-2011 09:01 AM

I'm not sure what you are seeing but at the 4:15 spot while you are cantering in a tight circle to the left, his left hind looks off but I think it's more of a matter of being in too tight a circle for a jog. Other then that, I don't see the problem.

Why don't you tell us at which point in the video you see the lameness.

Annnie31 11-23-2011 09:13 AM

No...he is not lame, he is stiff, appears quite green, and maybe having alot thrown his way and isnt ready for it all.
He is a nice gelding, trying very hard to do everything asked. I think he needs to learn how to walk and jog/trot relaxed before being asked to lope, not that he shouldnt be loped. Too much is being thrown at him at once and as a result he doesnt appear settled, supple or soft.
Best of luck with him.
Im not a reiner though so Im sure some of the guys who rein will have some good advice.

Sahara 11-23-2011 09:26 AM

I don't see lame either. What I see is a rider that looks tense and worried and that is transferring to the horse. The rider can't keep the horse in a consistent gait and he is frequently holding him back. How long has he been in training?

MysterySparrow 11-23-2011 09:52 AM

I agree, with the above, I don't see lame, I see tense. I would bring him back to simple suppling work and take the pressure of a bit. He needs to relax more into the riders hands and not be forced there as this video make it look like is being done. Some of the things being done in this video I do not understand for a goal of having a reining horse. He needs to be taught to be light and responsive from your seat, leg and hands before going to the stage he is at.

Spyder 11-23-2011 09:52 AM

Rough training...confused unhappy horse but not lame.

EthanQ 11-23-2011 10:20 AM

My aunt saw this and thought his hocks looked lame but Yes, I do agree that he is tense, probly from me. This summer he was deemed a runaway and so I guess I was a little nervous but I am right now just working on headset and collection and working on fixing his fighting the bit problem. Thanks for the input guys! anymore suggestions?

Annnie31 11-23-2011 12:05 PM

Ethan I would just like to suggest working him longer at each task before you move to another. He needs to relaxe more and asking him to walk a few steps then jog a few then do a 180 then lope etc. is just too much. Work him at a jog for 10 minutes, let him relaxe and when he starts to drop his head down a bit you will see a difference in how he balances himself and how he feels under you. Give him much more time to settle every time you stop and ask for something else.
He really is a nice quiet fellow, and appears to be very patient with the training so I think he will improve in leaps and bounds!

tinyliny 11-23-2011 02:34 PM

I'm afraid that Ihave to agree pretty much with what else has been said. I think Annies' advice to let him settle into one thing would be good. Although, for the purposes of the video, it;s possible you were doing more than the usual amount of changes. I hesitate to make too much of a rider critique, but I noticed that you (if that IS you riding) tend to lean forward too much. Stittingup straight and letting the leg hang down in a relaxed manner will help to settle the horse a bit.

But he doesn't look lame to me.

2BigReds 11-23-2011 03:59 PM

Quite frankly, (no pun intended) Frank looks tense and even confused by some of the things you're asking him to do. I don't see what you're doing to try and collect him or make him lighter on the bit, but then again it's hard to see fine movements in this video so it's entirely possible that you're doing something I can't see. Sock was strung out with his head up when I got him a little more than a month ago, but he's learning collection pretty rapidly so far. At the very least, he knows the cues that signal him to collect himself. If you can want, I can share and we can compare methods simply for the sake of learning from each other.