The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Teaching a horse to move with more impulsion, and better transitions. Help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/teaching-horse-move-more-impulsion-better-104246/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 11-23-2011 07:56 PM

Teaching a horse to move with more impulsion, and better transitions. Help?

I would like some tips on making my horse transition from trot to canter better. She always just speeds up, and her trot feels like riding a jack-hammer. I am still learning how to ride the canter. So when she trots like that my balance goes to hell and it's hard to stay on. lol. So how can I make her transition her gaits better? I would also like her to push herself along with her butt rather than drrag herself by her front. thankks
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 11-23-2011 08:16 PM

your horse sounds like it's "falling" into the canter. There are two ways for a horse to take the canter, jumping into it and falling into it. For her to be able to jump inot the canter, she must be really balanced in the trot that preceeds it. And to facilites stepping off with the correct leg , the rider has to know how to cue the canter at just the right place of the trot sequence.
THis all means one has to have a pretty good seat.

I confess that I often cue for canter virtually "guessing" at the time when it will make my horse step into the canter with the correct lead.

I believe the correct time for the cue is immediately after the outside front leg strikes the ground and the horse is just about to rebound into its' moment of supspension, and the rear outside leg is just lifting forward to complete it's trot segment. That's when it can strike the ground as the first step in the canter sequence, so cueing when that leg is just reaching forward is when you will have the best success.

Since I already admitting to being a bit of a guesser about this, I will hope that persons more sure of this will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

May I ask how long you have been riding?

VelvetsAB 11-23-2011 08:38 PM

Try half halting before asking for the canter, to rebalance. Is she moving forward, and infront of your leg, instead of being behind your leg?

Tiny, I have never heard of asking for a canter at a certain spot in their stride, and I've never had a problem getting the correct canter lead on a schooled horse. Sure on a green horse....but other then that.

Skyseternalangel 11-23-2011 08:42 PM

I've heard of it tinyliny.. that is how I was taught to ask for the trot and canter on the ground (I don't canter in saddle yet) But you want to ask when your horse is set up to do it without being chased into it, figuring out which feet to put weight on, etc. Especially for a greenie.

Do you lunge her.. if so what does she do when you ask for a canter?

LovesMyDunnBoy 11-23-2011 08:58 PM

She isn't green, but she isn't the most well trained horse out there.

I'm not sure wether she's in front or behind? Sorry, I'm not verry experienced lol

And I have been riding off ad on forr 2 years, but im self taught because i cant affordd lessons.
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 11-23-2011 09:03 PM

And I ddon't lunde often, but I usually don't make her canter her on the line
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 11-23-2011 09:07 PM

Well I think you should start asking for the canter on the lunge.. because she needs to learn to balance herself before she can balance you and her.. and will make everything (trot, canter, halts, walking even) much smoother.

tinyliny 11-23-2011 09:22 PM

With only two years, and being self taught, it's possible that you are not as secure in your own balance on the horse, too. So, you might be leaning forward when you ask for the canter, and thus the horse gets a bit off balance, and she then rushes forward to try to recover balance, which causes you to lose balance and curl up forward. It's a vicious circle. How do I know? Well, it's something I dont' do as bad as I used to , but I sure had my time doing that every time I asked for a canter
There are just loads of threads on here about canter departs and how to make it successful. I gotta get cookin' right now but if you scanned around you'd find some real gems.

kitten_Val 11-23-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy (Post 1242602)
I'm not sure wether she's in front or behind? Sorry, I'm not verry experienced lol

She's most probably is on front given your description. Horse should have a nice balanced trot before having a nice smooth transition into the canter. And it takes quite a bit of time to teach it to travel balanced on trot (and you should know how to teach it too). The only advice from me you probably won't like (I'd say you have to take lessons from the good trainer).

Sahara 11-23-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 1242579)

I have never heard of asking for a canter at a certain spot in their stride,

You cannot influence a leg that is planted on the ground. In order to get a clean transition you should cue the horse as his hind outside leg leaves the ground.