The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   I got a Mini Horse! Pics :D (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/i-got-mini-horse-pics-d-104267/)

Piaffe 11-23-2011 10:33 PM

I got a Mini Horse! Pics :D

5 Attachment(s)
I bought this little cutie today. He is a 4 year old gelding and about 34". I clipped a bit of his neck and he is lovely grey under all that brown fluff:D He obviously had a halter left on too long somewhere along the way. He needs a name! Here are the potentials we have come up with so far. Please feel free to vote or add in your idea:D

*Sable
*Gimli
*Sir Cadogan
*Chai Breve
*Merrlylegs:wink::lol:

On to the pics.....

sommsama09 11-23-2011 10:51 PM

Hes gorgoues - is it the pics or are his front feet slightly turned out? I like the name Gimbli :) dongrats!

NdAppy 11-23-2011 10:57 PM

That color that came out when you clipped isn't is "true" color. Clipping changes what the coat color looks like. Never, ever use a clipped coat as a judgment for what color a horse is. :-)

He is adorable though.

Piaffe 11-23-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sommsama09 (Post 1242744)
Hes gorgoues - is it the pics or are his front feet slightly turned out? I like the name Gimbli :) dongrats!

Lol...yea they do seem to be

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1242750)
That color that came out when you clipped isn't is "true" color. Clipping changes what the coat color looks like. Never, ever use a clipped coat as a judgment for what color a horse is. :-)

He is adorable though.

Hmmm...so he isn't grey? His sire was grey and his dam palomino.......isn't he just greying out like regular horse,but just speeding up the process by clipping. In person it is stark white (grey).

NdAppy 11-24-2011 12:40 AM

From what I can see on my phone he doesn't look grey to me. :-) he looks like he might be a silver bay, but I am on my phone and it really sucks for judging color.

Piaffe 11-24-2011 12:53 AM

He does have grey "goggles" around his eyes,grey flecking on his legs,and around his muzzle (not as noticeable in the pics) I thought grey/palomino couldn't make silver bay? I am so terrible at mini colors....!

NdAppy 11-24-2011 08:41 AM

It can. Depends on what is under the grey and what they agouti and silver status of the palomino is, and if either the sire/dam are actually the colors said to be, etc, etc. :-)

Endiku 11-24-2011 12:46 PM

What a cutie! I was wondering when pictures of this little guy would show up when I saw your ad for mini tack. What are you planning to do with him?

He seems to be a silver bay to me, as well. We have a 32" silver bay miniature who has one grey parent and one palomino (but the opposite of your guy's parents) so it is possible.

I really think the name Gimli is cute.

equiniphile 11-24-2011 12:49 PM

I must just be in a Thanksgiving food mode, but he looks like a "Biscotti" to me.

Piaffe 11-24-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1243001)
It can. Depends on what is under the grey and what they agouti and silver status of the palomino is, and if either the sire/dam are actually the colors said to be, etc, etc. :-)

Wow! I would LOVE if he is silver bay...it is so pretty:-) If I clip him will it grow back to silver bay then or stay this Grey? I dont want to clip him if it won't come back....and nope...I didn't actually see pics of sire/dam :wink: When I asked what color he was after seeing fuzzy pics they said "mocha".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1243172)
What a cutie! I was wondering when pictures of this little guy would show up when I saw your ad for mini tack. What are you planning to do with him?
'
He seems to be a silver bay to me, as well. We have a 32" silver bay miniature who has one grey parent and one palomino (but the opposite of your guy's parents) so it is possible.

I really think the name Gimli is cute.

Yay! Another vote for silver bay:-) I got him for a few reasons....one we own a retirement home and I would eventually like to use him as a therapy pony. Many of the elders grew ip on ranches/farms and would love to be able to pet/brush a horse again. I also got him as a companion for Sequel my pregnant mare. She has had to be separated from my other to horses and has been lonely. Mostly he will just be a pampered pasture puff. Although I'm guessing my 3-7 year old cousins may enjoy riding him leadline. That's what he was used for before I got him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1243177)
I must just be in a Thanksgiving food mode, but he looks like a "Biscotti" to me.

awww...that is really cute!