The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How often do you clean your grooming kit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-often-do-you-clean-your-104271/)

ohmyitschelle 11-24-2011 12:28 AM

How often do you clean your grooming kit?

I searched for another topic of similar title but nothing appeared, so I hope no one has asked this in awhile! I just washed my brushes/cleaned my kit out this afternoon and it brought the question to mind, how often do others wash theirs? I have to admit it's been a little while since I addressed mine, namely because I was using my clean/new set of brushes for some time.

Anyway, my main questions are (simply food for thought :lol:):

- How often do you clean your brushes/main equipment?
- What do you use to clean it?
- Do you have more than one set for your horse(s) and rotate your equipment or not?
- Are there some things that you're particular about cleaning more often than others?

Thanks to those who reply!!

CountryBabe6 11-24-2011 01:03 AM

Not often. Just when i get sick of all the dirt and hay that gets in my tote. I just scrub the tote out and rinse all the brushes really good.:wink:

demonwolfmoon 11-24-2011 01:06 AM

I spray Lysol on everything after I use it. I only have one horse, and one set of brushes.

Kimmy 11-24-2011 01:06 AM

once a month :lol:

caseymyhorserocks 11-24-2011 03:04 PM

Well 1-2 times a year I dunk the plastic ones in a soapy bucket. I have 1 horse and one set of brushes. After I finish with a brush I scrub it up and down along the wood fence to clean it.

ohmyitschelle 11-24-2011 07:21 PM

This is rather interesting, thanks for the answers so far everyone!!

natisha 11-24-2011 07:24 PM

It gets cleaned when my lamb knocks it over.
I clean the brushes maybe once a year but I have a lot of them so they don't get too bad.

Cinder 11-24-2011 07:41 PM

I clean my whole kit every few weeks or so. I don't use anything in particular to clean it. I clean my hoof pick, dandy brush and curry comb on a weekly basis.

csimkunas6 11-25-2011 07:04 PM

I have a ton of brushes!! Have collected brushes, totes, and hoof picks for quite some time now. I rotate, but clean as often as I can remember, just did this recently actually.

There are brushes available at the barn for everyone to use, I usually dont, but once in a blue moon I do....but they clean them at least once a month since all the horses use them :D

smrobs 11-25-2011 07:10 PM

I really don't clean mine often and then only when they really need it...like after being dropped in the mud or if a horse has girth itch or something. For mud, I just rinse it off with water. For girth itch, I soak it in bleach water overnight and then follow with a good washing in lysol (plus I have enough to start using different brushes for the horse with girth itch so it doesn't spread).