The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tails (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tails-10429/)

newhorsemom 06-22-2008 12:27 AM

Tails

New horse owner here and wondering about brushing out tails. I have been told never to brush out the tail, just pick through it with your fingers otherwise you'll thin it out too much. That just seems kind of gross to me and it seems like you'd have dreadlocks before too long. But again, I'm new at this so what do I know?

My horses tail is not terribly thick but it's not thin either - but it is long and we had to cut it so that it would clear the ground.

Harley Heaven 06-22-2008 06:29 AM

I brush out my horses tails, and with out thining them.
I'll make sure the tail is clean and in good condition. and seperate it into sections. Always grasp above the area I am brushing out and will most times pull the tail off to the side of the horse so I am not standing right behind the animal as I am brushing.

If your horse has tangles or matting of any sort, I have had good luck using virgin olive oil rubed into the tail to help loosen the knots. then just brush it on through the tail. It's a more natural product than show sheen, or any detangler like cowboy magic.

Anyway, thats the short version of how I handle a tail.

alstaxidermy 06-22-2008 07:51 AM

I brush them! But I do use a regular people brush on the ladies' hair and I also use people conditioner (Infusium 23 leave in treatment) when they get their tails really messed up. I guess maybe I spoil them a little bit hough. They are my ladies :D

Vidaloco 06-22-2008 07:56 AM

Definitly brush the tail. Most horses don't mind it and actually enjoy it. Get a good stiff hair brush or mane and tail brush. Start at the top bushing the short hairs toward the center. Then go to the bottom and work your way back up. I grab the whole thing and brush it against my leg, turning it to get all the way through it (vida has a very thick tail). I stand to the side with my arm against her so she won't forget I'm there.
Just a heads up, during fly season its a good idea to put some on before you start, that way they wont be tempted to start stomping their feet while you are standing next to them and possibly stomping your foot by accident.
I also use a leave in conditioner type spray if its really tangled. Human type stuff is great and usually cheaper than the horse stuff. I like the Dove leave in conditioner. I have just started using some stuff called Africas Best Herbal oil. I found it in the African American hair products section at Wal Mart. Its suppose to stop breakage, I'll have to make up a review on it if it works good so keep an eye out for it.

My2Geldings 06-22-2008 05:10 PM

Re: Tails

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhorsemom
New horse owner here and wondering about brushing out tails. I have been told never to brush out the tail, just pick through it with your fingers otherwise you'll thin it out too much. That just seems kind of gross to me and it seems like you'd have dreadlocks before too long. But again, I'm new at this so what do I know?

My horses tail is not terribly thick but it's not thin either - but it is long and we had to cut it so that it would clear the ground.

It's a personal preference thing. I don't touch my horse's tails. When I do I only use my hands.

It takes years for a horse's to grow all the way to the ground, why take the risk of ripping that hair out with brushing?

Harley Heaven 06-22-2008 07:03 PM

When we got Harley his tail had been cut very short. I felt so bad for him because he had nothing left to swish at the flies.

Lots of grooming later, a good tail conditioner and a sound diet and look at it now.

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/4184_P1010079_2.jpg

I agree it is a peronal choice to use a grooming tool or just your hands. I just believe that when brushed out in the right way it can stimulate oils and growth in a horses tail.

GeminiJumper 06-22-2008 07:18 PM

I always brush their tails. I don't use a comb but with a horse tail brush.

Angel_Leaguer 06-22-2008 08:56 PM

I never brush a dirty or wet tail. It is always fully washed (shampoo and conditioned) and then air dry. I will brush it with a clean mane and tail brush in sections. Once all sections are brushed I will then brush as a whole...being careful of any knots. my horse really likes the attention too!!

sempre_cantando 06-22-2008 10:23 PM

My horse has a very nice thick tail. I usually just pull out the sticks/leaves etc that get stuck in it. I brush it occasionally but only very carefully so i don't rip out all the hairs!

I guess its best not to brush the horse's tail every day as this will damage it and it will take ages to regrow. But I don't see how it can damage the tail too much so long as you do it gently and not too often.

HooverH 06-23-2008 02:43 AM

I brush Hoove's, with a pin brush. I start at the bottom with a small piece, and then slowly add more hair to it as it smooths out. I don't tend to get a lot of hair out of him, but I keep it pretty tangle-free so the brush just slicks through. His tail is almost to the ground, and I really don't seem to be impacting it's density much. I do stand behind him, but I know him pretty well. We have long sessions out in the pasture of me leaning against his backend with my head on his butt and take naps.:lol:

But as it was said, it's a person preference. It seems to also depend on the horse's hair quality...Hoove has really thick hair, so he doesn't seem to lose a lot of hair from it...but if it seemed he did, I probably wouldn't brush him as often.