The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Lease or Buy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/lease-buy-104394/)

HorseLoverHunter 11-25-2011 06:13 PM

Lease or Buy?

I have been wondering lately what would be better, leasing or buying my first horse? I have gone to camps before where you had to take care of a horse for a week and I do know what it is like, so I was wondering what would be better money wise and things like that. If I did lease, It would be full time. But, It would be nice to be able to buy a horse and keep him at my house. The only thing is that I would have to wait a while before I would buy a horse. The only place I would lease a horse at would be the barn I ride at, and I trust my trainer to tell me if I will be able to handle the horse for 6 months or how ever long I would lease him for. I have heard about people a leasing to buy kind of thing; like a house? Where you lease for 6 months to a year and buy the other half or so of the horse so you could keep him. I just don't want to lease a horse, and then have that be a waste of time. Help?

Skyseternalangel 11-25-2011 08:23 PM

I don't think there really is such a thing as a "waste of time" in the horse world. Leasing a horse is a great idea, especially if you haven't had any experience owning. Miles in the saddle.. make you a better rider and if you don't end up buying the horse you've been working with, I think that's okay. Every horse teaches you something and you can learn so much from every horse you ride.. so I think you should lease before.. and then when you decide if you can handle and like having a horse, then you can go ahead and look at buying :)

VelvetsAB 11-25-2011 08:30 PM

Getting a lease horse is not a waste of time. Camp for a week is nothing compared to the rest of your life.

By leasing, you can figure out if having a horse will actually work for you.

You also then have a chance to learn from this horse, then progress onto a new lease, or a bought horse. The horse you need today, is not the horse you need in a year.

If it ends up that you actually don't have the time or budget for the whole horse thing, you can cancel a lease faster then you can resell a horse....

There have been several threads lately about leasing versus buying....try the search option, and read a few of those threads.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 11-25-2011 08:37 PM

It depends. How helpful is that, right?

Pros of leasing: if you and the horse don't work out for whatever reason, that's okay! You're not 'stuck' with a horse. It might be cheaper than owning depending on the lease conditions. Its a good way to learn a lot, both about yourself and how to work with horses with different personalities.

That said, when it came down to it, for me it was much easier to buy a horse than find one with what I wanted that was for lease. Then again, I was not looking for a high level horse which would have had a big purchase price tag either. I am also out of college and a 'grown up' now too though, so owning a horse is much more realistic than it would have been when I was younger.

HorseLoverHunter 11-25-2011 08:47 PM

Thanks everyone! What I meant more by a waste of time is having to go to the barn every day and taking two hours there and not being able to do other things I need to do. But the good thing would be that I could ride with my friends and have a place to jump. I will definitely thing a second time about leasing. =)

caseymyhorserocks 11-26-2011 01:24 AM

Lease then buy! Lease for a couple months, see if the horse is really going to be worth it, then buy.