The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse is limping on front (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-limping-front-104399/)

tanya 11-25-2011 06:02 PM

Horse is limping on front

We have had our paint for about a month now as some of you know she was in rough shape when we got her. She was limping when we brought her home, but she seemed to get better after a few weeks. Well now she is limping again on her front and I cant find anything wrong I know you all are going to say take her to a vet and I really wish I could, but unexpected things came up and we are so broke we cant buy milk let alone a vet bill. Does anyone have any clues as to why she would be limping? Could it still be from the guys we got her from riding her in the mountains with no shoes and maybe she is still tender?

Derry girl 11-25-2011 06:17 PM

Is she out in the field? maybe try stabling her for a few days , keep her on nice soft bedding.. stable rest could help if she has strained a muscle or bruised the sore of her hoof... if its the muscle try running cold water from the hose down the tendon side of her leg.. can help sothe any muscle pain and just double check her hoof for any deep cracks and that theres nothing stuck in her hoof, i seen a farrier pull i tiny nail out of a horses hoof once.. it had been lame for weeks and nobody knew why!

Spyder 11-25-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanya (Post 1244209)
I know you all are going to say take her to a vet and I really wish I could, but unexpected things came up and we are so broke we cant buy milk let alone a vet bill.

This is the very reason so many of us try tell everyone that wants a horse to NOT buy, rescue or breed a horse without having MORE than just the buy or initial cost of the horse. And if you got it free, makes no difference if you don't have the MAINTENANCE money (includes emergency vet money) then you should not have a horse at this time.

You need a vet..period !

waresbear 11-25-2011 07:56 PM

Could be a gazillon things OP. Since you can't afford a vet, you better have some knowledge horsemen friends who could come out & take a look at her. If not, enjoy watching your limping horse.

bubba13 11-25-2011 09:50 PM

If she's not too badly crippled just let her be and don't ride her. Horses with a minor case of the hobbles don't generally mind being pasture puffs. But when the money comes, she needs to be seen. Could be a number of things from navicular to arthritis to hoof soreness to soft tissue injuries. Might try giving her a couple grams of bute just to see if that helps her.

tanya 11-26-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 1244283)
This is the very reason so many of us try tell everyone that wants a horse to NOT buy, rescue or breed a horse without having MORE than just the buy or initial cost of the horse. And if you got it free, makes no difference if you don't have the MAINTENANCE money (includes emergency vet money) then you should not have a horse at this time.

You need a vet..period !

Thanks You dont think I feel bad enough??? Im sorry that personal things came up and now im a ****ty horse owner that cant afford a vet. I am on many fourms and this one by far has some of the most judgemental people on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1244311)
Could be a gazillon things OP. Since you can't afford a vet, you better have some knowledge horsemen friends who could come out & take a look at her. If not, enjoy watching your limping horse.

Yeah I get my kicks out of watching her limp thanks. It is very obvious that I am the only one on here that ever falls on hard times and coming on here asking for advice was the wrong thing to do.

Lakotababii 11-26-2011 01:54 PM

Take everything with a grain of salt OP. Horses are not only for the rich and well off.

Okay so back to the injury.

It is hard to help with a hoof/leg injury when it cannot be seen. My horse also has a *slight* limp, a permanent one, probably from an old injury. However, it doesn't bother him and he still runs like the wind. I found a supplement helped him.

He did, just last week, develop a weird (other than the normal) limp, so I did my usual, checked for swelling and heat, had someone else walk him to see where the problem was, and then determined whether it was vet worthy, or just a sprain, similar to when we twist an ankle.

I determined, after my own assessment and when talking to other knowlegable people, that I would hold off on the vet and wait to see if he got better. He had a slightly swollen leg, with slight heat, so I gave him time off from work (previously had been working him every day at the w/t/c)

He did get better on his own. I checked him often, and within a day or so, the swelling was gone and he was back to normal. I started him lightly back into work, checking his progress, and he continues to be sound now.

So my point is, try to find heat, swelling, or painful areas. Then come back and ask us again. It may be something simple, and doesn't mean the horse is going to suffer indefintiely.

Also, did the weather change recently? My horse has developed slight arthritis from his injury, and thus when it gets cold or rainy, he is more stiff.

Please keep us posted!

Derry girl 11-26-2011 02:05 PM

Tanya dont feel bad and dont be listening to them unhelpful comments.. we ALL have experienced hard times were moneys been tight. You can only do your best! And fair play to you if this is a horse that you rescued or got in really bad condition, i rescued a we foal 2years ago, hes was at deaths door (he was dumped) and i literally nursed him back to health at my home for about a month b4 we could get a foster mare.. only had to get the vet once for a flu injection.. i just got some good books from the library and read up articles on the internet.. and im not sure of the website but if you google it.. some websites have vets online to give free advice.. Best of luck to you, hope your horse gets better soon :-)

tanya 11-26-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakotababii (Post 1244843)
Take everything with a grain of salt OP. Horses are not only for the rich and well off.

Okay so back to the injury.

It is hard to help with a hoof/leg injury when it cannot be seen. My horse also has a *slight* limp, a permanent one, probably from an old injury. However, it doesn't bother him and he still runs like the wind. I found a supplement helped him.

He did, just last week, develop a weird (other than the normal) limp, so I did my usual, checked for swelling and heat, had someone else walk him to see where the problem was, and then determined whether it was vet worthy, or just a sprain, similar to when we twist an ankle.

I determined, after my own assessment and when talking to other knowlegable people, that I would hold off on the vet and wait to see if he got better. He had a slightly swollen leg, with slight heat, so I gave him time off from work (previously had been working him every day at the w/t/c)

He did get better on his own. I checked him often, and within a day or so, the swelling was gone and he was back to normal. I started him lightly back into work, checking his progress, and he continues to be sound now.

So my point is, try to find heat, swelling, or painful areas. Then come back and ask us again. It may be something simple, and doesn't mean the horse is going to suffer indefintiely.

Also, did the weather change recently? My horse has developed slight arthritis from his injury, and thus when it gets cold or rainy, he is more stiff.

Please keep us posted!

Sorry for flying off the handle I just dont appreiciate someone telling me I am not worthy of something because of my finacial status. If it was a life or death situation believe me I will find the money.
Anyways thankyou for your concern and tips I am out there with her several times a day and there is nothing that I can see wrong. Its not hot, swollen, I have cleaned her feet and see nothinh in there and her hooves have no cracks. It has gotten cold here and we have got snow a few times, but has melted off now. I did give her some brute so that should help her out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derry girl (Post 1244854)
Tanya dont feel bad and dont be listening to them unhelpful comments.. we ALL have experienced hard times were moneys been tight. You can only do your best! And fair play to you if this is a horse that you rescued or got in really bad condition, i rescued a we foal 2years ago, hes was at deaths door (he was dumped) and i literally nursed him back to health at my home for about a month b4 we could get a foster mare.. only had to get the vet once for a flu injection.. i just got some good books from the library and read up articles on the internet.. and im not sure of the website but if you google it.. some websites have vets online to give free advice.. Best of luck to you, hope your horse gets better soon :-)

Thanks Derry girl. Do you still have your foal? Good to hear it found a good home to help it out.

Derry girl 11-27-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanya (Post 1245105)
Sorry for flying off the handle I just dont appreiciate someone telling me I am not worthy of something because of my finacial status. If it was a life or death situation believe me I will find the money.
Anyways thankyou for your concern and tips I am out there with her several times a day and there is nothing that I can see wrong. Its not hot, swollen, I have cleaned her feet and see nothinh in there and her hooves have no cracks. It has gotten cold here and we have got snow a few times, but has melted off now. I did give her some brute so that should help her out.

Thanks Derry girl. Do you still have your foal? Good to hear it found a good home to help it out.

Yip still have him, he turned out to be a we highland type, really stocky build but light on his toes, dark grey/black with a huge big thick white mane and tail.. hes class looking, going to start a we bit of training in the spring and hes great company for my broodmare.....so i know how your feeling atm but everything will be ok.. stay positive :-)