The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   First time horse buyer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/first-time-horse-buyer-104404/)

BravadoThePony 11-25-2011 06:52 PM

First time horse buyer?

Hi. I am currently in the market to purchase my first horse. (Buddy isn't legally mine, I just train him and what not, his owner jokes that he is 'honorarily mine' :) ) I've been looking around for a while and I wanted some advice on things I should know and look out for.
What questions should I have for owners when I find a horse I'm seriously considering? What red flags are there that I should look out for? Any huge conformational faults I should look out for if I want to use the horse for jumping and lower level eventing? Etc.
This is a huge commitment and I want to make sure I'm making the 100% right choice when I do purchase. :)
Thanks.

stacysills02 11-25-2011 07:33 PM

well the frist thing you want to look at is there legs. make sure there stright and no scars from old injurys. check there hoofs make sure they look healthy no trush. 2nd temperment. make sure there nice with ground manners. watch the horse be longed before you ride it. that way you can see how it moves and if it has any lameness. I allway look at horses back bones make sure ther stright. Some question i would ask are Why are they selling the horse? How Long have they owned the horse? If the Horse has ever been lame? If so When ANd WHy? If they CANt anwser why the horse was lame thats not good. Ask how the horse ack with other horses and alone? Ask what event the horse has done? and what shows has it been at? What dose it normal places at show? If its a mare ask if shes ever had a foal? any thing that comes to your mind even if it sound funny ask. If your not confortable going alone go with someone who knows alot about horses.. becuase when you get over excited you forget to ask the right questions

csimkunas6 11-25-2011 09:02 PM

Great question! I found myself asking this when I was in the market almost a year ago! Cant believe its been that long already, really doesnt seem possible....

heres a site I used as a starting source, the more buyers you contact, which I contacted about a dozen, if not more, the easier questions come into your mind. It was hard for me to think of them at first, just because I didnt really know what I wanted, but the more I looked, the easier it was for me to decide what I didnt want, and what I wanted in a horse.....

Questions to Ask When Buying a Horse

Good Luck!

bubba13 11-25-2011 09:15 PM

Any chance you have a trainer or knowledgable, trusted friend who can accompany you on your first horse-buying excursions?

twh 11-25-2011 11:15 PM

Make sure you see the horse being tacked and groomed and do not get on any horse for sale unless you've seen the seller ride it first.

Check if the horse seems droopy or unusually quiet.

Are you planning on doing a PPE?

And I second having someone with more experience accompany you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duren 11-25-2011 11:21 PM

on a side note...

You know what they always say...

When going to look at a horse, leave your checkbook and your trailer at home.

Other than that, everyone has given you some great advice already!

BravadoThePony 11-25-2011 11:56 PM

Thank you guys for the great advice.
I do have a trainer that I can bring with me to check any horse out before I make anything final.
Yes, I definitely would have a PPE done before purchasing, as well. :)

allthingshorsesandriding 01-07-2012 09:24 AM

brilliant .... look at my websit allthingshorsesandriding.dinstudio.com