The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   round pen training? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/round-pen-training-104501/)

HarleyWood 11-27-2011 12:39 AM

round pen training?

so today i worked my three geldings in there my little paint would stop at the gate adn try to ram it. how cna i get him to stop doing that? i just whiped right behind him to keep him going and turned him when he was on the other side of the gate.

how long to keep them going? to get them fit? and how to get them to cool down if they sweat? i have a barn but no heat and stuff just a barn with a round pen and soon stalls.

i would like to get my paints in shape so i can show them right away in the spring. and not have them all tired at the end of the day.

bubba13 11-27-2011 01:34 AM

Just to clarify, are you working them in there at the same time, or separately?
How big is your roundpen? Are you using proper leg protection (splint boots and bell boots) on them?

HarleyWood 11-27-2011 01:41 AM

different times when ones working the others are tied up. i dont know how big it is right now. but its a nice sized one. not for my 3 year old, he has grow and i dont buy them anything unless i know they arent going to out grow it. and use my QHs on my 4 year old. tomorrow im going to get polos to use on them when i work with them.

PeoplesKey 12-29-2011 11:28 AM

Sounds to me like gaining some more respect might help, it tends to help with most things in the world of ground work. I don't know your situation though. Good luck!

Elessar 12-29-2011 04:08 PM

My pen doesn't have a gate. I use panels and I just open one of them to enter/exit. That way, they all look the same. Sorry. I know this doesn't help you,...

HarleyWood 12-29-2011 04:11 PM

Mine does and we have to use chains that have to be really tight to stay together
Posted via Mobile Device