The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Confidence? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/confidence-104503/)

Caitlinpalomino 11-27-2011 12:59 AM

Confidence?

I recently have fallen off my mare and it didn't do much for my confidence. I was wondering what other people have done to build confidence or what I could do to help my confidence?
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 11-27-2011 01:33 AM

Taking lessons on good, broke, sane horses, with a trainer watching you, always helps.

Caitlinpalomino 11-27-2011 04:26 AM

Ok I have road a very quiet horse at pony club and I was fine I think it is more with my mare that I am nervous just because she was the horse I fell off.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 11-27-2011 12:49 PM

Have someone else ride her for you for awhile, just in case she is acting up, so they can correct it.

pepperduck 11-27-2011 01:27 PM

Take it slow with your horse. Ride with a trainer, or with someone watching. You could try having someone put you on a lunge on your horse. I don't know what the circumstances are in which you fell off but I try to get past as fast as can, for example if your horse spooked in a corner of the arena, do circles in that corner.

Caitlinpalomino 11-27-2011 08:26 PM

Thankyou very much I think I will take it slow. And just ride in front of my sister.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 11-27-2011 08:33 PM

Caitlin, would you like to tell us about how that happened? Sometimes talking about it, and laughing about it puts it into perspective. After all, I bet you've ridden many times when you DIDN'T fall off ,right?

IN any case, you'll get it back. I am certain of it.

goneriding 11-27-2011 08:52 PM

Understand why you did fall (horse, you, outside cause), and then get back on.

Caitlinpalomino 11-27-2011 08:58 PM

Well I had just got her out of the paddock and it was my first ride on her in ages she was a bit flighty and I tried cantering her she slipped On a puddle while I was off balance and then pulled up quickly I went straight over her head and landed flat on my back on hard rubble (it hurt) she then galloped off and tried to find the other horses. I know it doesn't even sound bad but man did it scare me! And I am not a confident rider as it is let alone dyer falling off!
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 11-27-2011 09:02 PM

Well, sorry to say, you were at fault--not her--and proper riding and handling could probably go a long way toward preventing a recurrence.

1. She gave you plenty of warning signs. Become a student of the horse's body language, and be proactive about the message they're conveying.

2. Don't canter an antsy horse or one who is not warmed up. You should have started at a slow walk until both of you relaxed.

3. Be aware of your terrain and take care to negotiate obstacles.