The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How much is this saddle actually worth? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-much-saddle-actually-worth-104526/)

dee 11-27-2011 11:45 AM

How much is this saddle actually worth?

I've been looking for a long time for a saddle that will fit my high withered, broadbacked, shortbacked mare. Problem is, I'm also immensly over weight and really do need a 20" seat in a western saddle. The listing makes no mention of gullet size, but it looks like it might be okay. I've just never heard of the maker.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It's okay if you think the saddle is a piece of crap - it won't hurt my feeliings any - I'll just keep looking!

nuisance 11-27-2011 12:53 PM

I don't know if he has any 20" saddles, but this guy has a place here in Wichita Falls, that sells reasonably priced saddles. I saw them at the exhibits during the Texas Ranch Roundup. He may ship since you are only in Oklahoma, wouldn't hurt to try.

Hamilton Auction Service: Saddles & Tack

tinyliny 11-27-2011 01:45 PM

Dee,

I know nothing about that maker, but judgeing from the looks of the saddle, it strikes me as a well made saddle, not one of the POS's. The only thing would be to have him measure the whole length of the saddle to be sure it would fit your horse, and ask the weight, too.

bubba13 11-27-2011 01:54 PM

Yes, that is a good saddle and probably a reasonable price.

dee 11-28-2011 09:29 AM

Thanks guys - I'll watch the saddle, and see if it stays in my budget range. I am pretty sure it will fit Dancer - I will have to use a wither builder on her because she is so downhill that any saddle I use on her will slide forward, I fear.

Nuisance - If this sale doesn't work out (and I'm not holding my breath), and if I ever get the chance to go to Wichita Falls, I may check this guy out. If he's anything like the guy in Cushing that I found through Craig's list, he may not have any 20" saddles, but he might keep me in mind (and my budget) and let me know if he runs across one.

Yup. Saw an ad on Craig's list for a used tack dealer in Cushing. I told my mom about him, and turns out she's acquainted with him (she lives in Cushing.) She called him Saturday, and while he doesn't have a saddle that will work for me right now, he'll put feelers out and see if he can find one in my price range. Weird thing is, he wants me to bring Dancer up there (not a problem) so he can see her for himself, and fit a few saddles to her so he knows more of what he needs to look for.

He says he's not a saddle fitter per se, but he's been in the horse and saddle business for 45 years, and it won't do his reputation any good if he sells me a saddle that doesn't work out perfectly. Best part is, according to my mother, he will buy back the saddle and/or trade with me for a saddle with a smaller seat when/if I manage to lose enough weight to need a smaller seat. How cool is that?

So, if this Ebay saddle's price runs up beyond my reach, there is hope for a decent saddle after all!

nuisance 11-28-2011 02:50 PM

Dee, after posting that, i went and looked, his biggest was 17", but i bet you could call and have him call you if he found a bigger one.... When i visted with them at the ranch round up, they seemed to know what they were talking about (more than me that is lol)

iridehorses 11-28-2011 03:11 PM

Dee, according to the ebay ad, that is his highest price - it isn't going to get higher, just sold. In fact, he is open to offers from that price so if you are in that price range and want to offer less, you should do it. A 20" saddle is probably not that easy to find.

Lamb is not a bad saddle. Just be sure that the bars are right. Lamb Custom Saddlery, Lamb Saddle, Lamb Saddles,

caleybooth 11-28-2011 03:15 PM

I noticed that there is a Make An Offer option. You could send him an offer and see if he accepts it. BUT, your offer IS your bid, so if you offer something and he accepts it then you bought the saddle (lol I had to learn that the hard way!).

I looked through some of his other stuff and I think he's a pawnbroker or a guy who just buys stuff to resale. He's probably not extremely knowledgeable about saddles (considering he called all the rigging "belts" huh?) and obviously if he has a Make An Offer option, then he knows that he's got it priced too high. Around here that saddle would probably go for about $350 or $400. PLUS you have to pay nearly $50 to ship it. So, if it were me, I'd lowball him a little and see where he really stands on it. I mean, hey, all he can say is no, right? :)

smrobs 11-28-2011 03:38 PM

It looks like a decently made saddle that just hasn't had much good care....ever LOL.

With the folks selling it obviously not knowing much about saddles, I do think I would request that they take a picture with a tape measure on the seat and the gullet so that you can see for yourself exactly how big they are. Some people measure saddles in funky ass ways and sometimes what they claim isn't correct in the slightest.

dee 11-28-2011 05:11 PM

I agree, Smrobs. I won't even consider making an offer without verifying the seat and gullet size. It's pretty rare that a decently made saddle actually has a 20" seat.

I do tend to wait until almost the last minute before making an offer - I guess it's the auction goer in me?