The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critique Thoroughbred mare

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Horsegears 
#1 ·
This is Grace. She is a 12 year old 16.2h Thoroughbren mare. Please tell me what you see. What you like and don't like. I am going to Event her.

I don't have great pictures, but I think they are good enough. I don't have many of her in this good weight. She has gained probably 200lb in 5 of 6 months.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
She's the most hideous thing I've ever seen.

You must send her to me immediately!

:)

Just kidding! she's really gorgeous. She makes the same pissy face as my mare. Grinds her teeth and basically says "I don't wanna stand still, stupid human!"

#12 ·
Well I really like her.

In the first pic I thought she looked downhill but she looks level or even uphill in the others. Yes, roach backed. Lovely neck on her and superb shoulder, though I do agree she looks a tad cow hocked and she stands under herself a bit much with her hind legs. Acceptable hindquarter otherwise. Good pasterns, lovely short cannons.

All in all I see potential. I think given the right training she would do well. Assuming, of course, that she has the passion and boldness to be clean and fast cross-country. If not feel free to send her to me and I'll have her as a showjumper/show hack/dressage horse ;)

#13 ·
Thanks Blue Eyed Pony!

She is defiantely bold and LOVES jumping. She has already done Training level Eventing and Level II jumpers, so I think she has what it takes!

The only problem with her jumping is she has always done the high stuff where she is supposed to go very fast, AND she has had bad training. But I am working with a great instructor who is helping us greatly.

Thanks

#15 ·
The only problem with her jumping is she has always done the high stuff where she is supposed to go very fast, AND she has had bad training. But I am working with a great instructor who is helping us greatly.

Thanks
lol my horse is the same!! I'd say he was actually originally trained really well by someone who knew what they were doing, I do know he was ruined by poor riding and ended up neglected - but the effect is the same, he bolts at his fences unless they're 3'4" or higher.

#22 ·
Flexible muscle type. Nice shoulder with nicely set wither. The hind is not perfect with the sloping croup, slightly backward set stifle, and in teh photo an upright rear pastern (could just be photo). I question whether these may be compounding to possibly cause the roach. This considered may be best suited to dressage - but see how shes goes and good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.