The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Trace clips... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/trace-clips-104581/)

Wallaby 11-27-2011 08:20 PM

Trace clips...

I finally wrangled some clippers that are beast enough to give Miss Lacey a trace clip.
Amusingly, they're the clippers my grandmother used to give my grandfather haircuts. They're both deceased now so I got the clippers when we were cleaning out their house. We also found a Navajo horse blanket in their house that they were using as a rug (I also got that). My grandparents were the best. :lol:

Now, I have a new quandary. Since her blanket that she wears most often is a little big around the neck and lets her shoulders get completely wet when it rains, would it be foolhardy to clip part of her shoulders?

I don't want her to get too cold from being wet or anything... But, I do want to clip her shoulders though because they get crazy sweaty on rides... :?

Also, is it a bad idea to clip her fetlocks so mud doesn't get all up in her fetlock hair? Will her legs be too cold if I also clip from the top of her hoof to a little above the feltock?

caseymyhorserocks 11-27-2011 11:43 PM

No help on the shoulder part, but don't clip her fetlocks, because they protect her from scratches and mud fever, because they help prevent the water and mud from getting to her skin. If she did get scratches, or mud fever or something, you would want to clip it to allow it to air out.

Wallaby 11-27-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1246289)
No help on the shoulder part, but don't clip her fetlocks, because they protect her from scratches and mud fever, because they help prevent the water and mud from getting to her skin. .

And see, that's exactly why I've heard you SHOULD clip/trim fetlocks! :lol: Because the long fetlock hair holds the wetness and the mud against the skin for longer than is healthy... Oh dear. haha
She had a bad case of scratches last year (they didn't fully clear up until late July, when the first scabs showed up in April) and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again this year.

caseymyhorserocks 11-28-2011 12:09 AM

Huh, interesting, but all the sources I have found say that they hold moisture out.

Skyseternalangel 11-28-2011 12:14 AM

Well I think she would be okay in a trace clip so long as you blanket her. As for the fetlocks.. I don't have any experience with trimming them. My horse has a few feathers and they get very muddy but the pink skin underneath is always shiny and clean so I'm with casey in saying that they help to prevent mud fever and scratches.. but of course this past year was awful and a lot of horses ended up with rain rot and scratches..

It's up to you though.

Wallaby 11-28-2011 12:25 AM

She's pretty much constantly blanketed, except for when I'm working her so no worries there. And I have all three weights of blankets, plus a cooler, so I can pretty much blanket her to exactly what she needs.

Hmmm, interesting about fetlocks... I'm just worried because, from about January to May, the area we walk through pretty much everyday is basically a mud swamp. I'm going to talk to the owner of the property to see if I can rearrange the fence a little and make it so we don't have to walk through there, but I'm not holding my breath since I'd be cutting some of that smooth wire fence stuff and basically ruining it's electricity carrying ability. :/
I'm also planning on starting her on Vit A supplement since I've heard that can help keep scratches away...

Skyseternalangel 11-28-2011 12:33 AM

http://www.luckybraids.com/edu/nix-scratches.pdf

Has a little bit about shaving the fetlock hairs off.