The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Woah...bad horse...what's up with him?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/woah-bad-horse-whats-up-him-10463/)

SonnyWimps 06-22-2008 11:43 PM

Woah...bad horse...what's up with him?!

Since it was raining out and Chewy was already in I rode him for lessons (it was pouring REALLLLLLLY heavy out and Sonny would have been all icky)
So anyways, Chewy was behaving exceptionally well while I was tacking up. Usually he gives me a problem and won't pick up his back feet without a fight, but he did good and I rewarded him with a mint for that.

When I got on him, I got him to get on the bit and have his head on the vertical (no rounding of the back, but if I don't get his head bent he won't listen at all). And he was doing great!! Walk and trot and he'd still keep his head in the place (well with a few reminders). But then all of a sudden he started RAMMING my leg up against the wall (my legs are all cut up from that). At first I thought that he was having a fit because he wasn't happy about having his head there (yes he is used to it cause he's used to wearing a training fork...but I had no training fork on), but then he kept doing it and doing it.

After a while I could see that as were talking or trotting, he'd slowly move over to the wall. It doesn't seem like that was because he was being bratty, but then I could be wrong. It almost seemed like he couldn't walk in a straight line...kinda drunk acting in a way.

Any ideas?
How can I fix this?

I did finally get a crop and put it on the wall side and each him he would start inching over to the wall, I'd cue him with my left leg to move over (using the left side as an example) and then if he still wouldn't go, I'd tap him with the crop...and if he STILL didn't listen I'd pull him in a tight circle ot get his attention and that I mean business.

But he was totally horrible today, far more than what he usually is...he was REALLY high spirited and kinda acted Arabian-ish (as the BO said)

I did make sure that we ended off on a good note, so I took him over a jump, and he did wonderful on that then I got off.

JustDressageIt 06-22-2008 11:48 PM

Could be the weather that was affecting him, maybe his back was a bit ouchy.
My suggestion would be to ride him off the wall by about a meter, and make him leg yield back to that distance if he tries to move back to the wall again :)
My brain's not with me, I'll post later.

mlkarel2010 06-22-2008 11:57 PM

when i have this problem i flex their head to the wall, so that they have to move away from it or their head will hit the wall, and put pressure on w/ the wall side leg as well...... you don't have to flex the head all the way around though

jeddah31 06-23-2008 07:12 AM

as soonas you feel him walking to the wall, ask him to leg yeild inside, away from the wall. then back out to the wall once he's listened and responded to you.

EquusRider91 06-23-2008 10:19 PM

i leased a horse who would do the same thing. I can't say for sure why he would do it, but I think it was a respect issue. I did a lot of flexing towards the wall so that his face was parallel with the arena wall. If he kept doing it, right at the point where he put me against the wall, i'd make a circle and then flex him towards that point so that he'd know that he can't get away with it.

Still, it may be something that's causing pain in the horse.