The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Equine Dentist: And this was my first customer... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/equine-dentist-my-first-customer-104631/)

DuffyDuck 11-28-2011 06:36 AM

Equine Dentist: And this was my first customer...

One of our guys flew out to the USA to do a 4 week course in equine dentistry, arrived back last week, brought the pictures in today.

Fascinating, he had a really good time. Blood and guts I can deal with, NO problems.

He said ooh, I'll show you a picture of my first customer.

Flicks through the iPhone... picture of a horse's head on a slab. That was fine. It was the disected pictures that made my stomach flop and all of a sudden I was leaning on the wall!

Fascinating to see, but I don't think I'd be able to do it!!!

kitten_Val 11-28-2011 07:43 AM

What was so bad about it? I took a class couple years back on trimming hoofs (in my former university). The instructor (professional farrier of course) brought up bunch of legs from dead horses for us to learn on. Bloody and all, you know. Well... Was somewhat gross, but I much rather use those than big blue plastic pipes we started on (with HORRIBLE sound when you rasp them!). :)

DuffyDuck 11-28-2011 08:33 AM

Oh I agree if a dentist is looking at my horse I want him to have the experience. It wasn't so much the head val, it was the skinned heads and popped out eyes and urgh, my lunch is turning in my stomach!!

At the end of the day the horse's were going to be slaughtered for meat anyway, and on the plus side the heads have been used to educate.

BUT IT WAS GROSS.

DuffyDuck 11-28-2011 08:34 AM

I have to ask Val... how did you keep the feet/legs upright to trim.....

kitten_Val 11-28-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1246554)
I have to ask Val... how did you keep the feet/legs upright to trim.....

Basically he made a wooden stand you can land a leg on and then you had to keep it in position by keeping it tight between your own knees (like with the real horse). Well at least he gave aprons and tools. I doubt I'd want to use my own on those legs. :wink: We used the same stand/position for the pipes, but that "scrrrrrrrrr" sound (when you use the rasp on plastic) really got on my nerves.

DuffyDuck 11-28-2011 09:10 AM

Oh Val, that still pretty gross hahahaha wasn't it all...stiff and cold o.0

Okay, you don't need to answer that! I think if I was there doing it, no problems, but I'm over thinking it now hahahaha!

Files on plastic..nails on a chalkboard!

kitten_Val 11-28-2011 09:18 AM

^^ yep, exactly! I was thinking about dropping the class when I first tried it on pipe. But I could tolerate it eventually. :-) Yeah, gross, but I put the latex glove (we have those cheap disposable ones here) on "cut" part of the leg, so it wasn't too messy (and since it was a winter semester it was cold enough), and apron would protect the pants (we put latex gloves on hands too on top of leather ones of course). Overall it was a good class/experience though, so I don't regret. Lol!

DuffyDuck 11-28-2011 09:22 AM

BAHAHA I can just imagine this leg with a blue latex glove on it.

Sorry. Wrong time, wrong place hahaha! EE, can you imagine summer smells -gulp-

I would LOVE to do something like that but my German isn't good enough :( Was thinking about doing an equissage course but the woman who was running it was a cow and mocked people so decided not to!