The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bareback? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bareback-104642/)

TravelerandTequila1234 11-28-2011 09:39 AM

Bareback?

When I first get on a horse(There first ride) , I like to get on bareback and in a halter because it feels like they react better and much better connection. Is this bad to do ? :-o

DuffyDuck 11-28-2011 09:45 AM

Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't ;D I like the safety of having a saddle/bridle on to make sure if everything goes tits up I can hang on lol

TravelerandTequila1234 11-28-2011 10:03 AM

Haha for me it depnds on the horse. If they are crazy phyco. YOU CAN FORGET BAREBACK! Lol

animalartcreations 11-28-2011 10:34 AM

I always start horses bareback with a halter and lead rope. I feel safer because I can feel if they are nervous. In the beginning, it's a lot of getting on, getting off, getting on, getting off. By taking my time, I develop a bond and trust with the horse. My horses don't buck or otherwise act out. They all voluntarily come up to the gate and parallel up as an invitation for me to mount up because that is what they learned in the beginning and they love being rode. To me, a saddle puts a barrier in between me and the horse, so a saddle is for later after I have established the basics.

mom2pride 11-28-2011 02:45 PM

I usually back horses bareback, and depending on the horse (how quiet he is), I may do his first ride bareback. Since it will be nothing major, and someone usually is there to help guide the animal, I have never had any issues with this; and all the horses know how to flex to the side very well, so I know I can take away their foward motion if necessary. My experience is that it's not going to be the first few rides that the horse will buck anyway, it will be around the 5-10th rides, when they are getting confident with the situation and want to test the limitations of things; but by then they are being ridden in a saddle, and are doing walk/trot/canter each ride...canter being the important one, since they can't buck as hard while having to concentrate on cantering.

That said, I've been breaking in horses since I bought my first greenie back when I was 10, so I know how to stick with a horse; I do not recommend anyone to ride, much less break in a colt bareback ever. I do it, just because I'm just used to doing it that way, and I am getting older and more breakable, so probably won't be doing it that way much longer!!!

mls 11-28-2011 03:00 PM

My first time on our youngsters - I get on bareback with my husband at their head. I can bail if they get too silly.

henia 11-29-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelerandTequila1234 (Post 1246626)
Haha for me it depnds on the horse. If they are crazy phyco. YOU CAN FORGET BAREBACK! Lol

for me if they are crazy psycho you can forget riding in any way
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 11-29-2011 12:12 PM

i have never backed a horse bareback, but my next youngester i would like to !

Legend 11-29-2011 12:34 PM

I feel 100% safer when bareback for some reason... I don't feel "stuck" in the stirrups if anything occurred. The first ride on both of my horses was bareback.

animalartcreations 11-29-2011 12:51 PM

Yes, I agree regarding the stirrups! Maybe that's one of the reasons I feel safer starting horses bareback. My way of thinking is, if I don't feel safe getting on without a saddle, then the horse isn't ready to be backed.