The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Is a running martingale legal in dressage? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/running-martingale-legal-dressage-104681/)

Crazy4CodyCole 11-28-2011 04:25 PM

Is a running martingale legal in dressage?

Is a running martingale legal in dressage? I saw that it was legal in eventing, so I'm guessing it's ok.... but I want to make sure lol

Endiku 11-28-2011 04:35 PM

I don't compete in dressage, so I wouldn't trust me completely, but I believe that running martingales are legal only in the warm-up ring, and only with a snaffle bridle. You are eliminated or severely pentaltied for using them within competition.

I mean, if you think about it- it's logical to assume that you can't use them. The whole idea of dressage is to communicate with your horse as deftly and effortlessly as possible, with as few artifical aids as possible. The horse should work off of your seat and your legs, not your hands. A running martingale is a gimmick that creats false flexation and positioning, and is not truely using your aids to balance and control a horse. Thus it would be worthless to have them...

ErikaLynn 11-28-2011 04:36 PM

No, they are not legal.

Crazy4CodyCole 11-28-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1247116)
I don't compete in dressage, so I wouldn't trust me completely, but I believe that running martingales are legal only in the warm-up ring, and only with a snaffle bridle. You are eliminated or severely pentaltied for using them within competition.

I mean, if you think about it- it's logical to assume that you can't use them. The whole idea of dressage is to communicate with your horse as deftly and effortlessly as possible, with as few artifical aids as possible. The horse should work off of your seat and your legs, not your hands. A running martingale is a gimmick that creats false flexation and positioning, and is not truely using your aids to balance and control a horse. Thus it would be worthless to have them...

Do you think it would be a good idea to use it to get my horse used to flexing more?

Lonannuniel 11-28-2011 04:38 PM

I don't know exact rules, though I can say with 100% certainty that I have NEVER seen someone use a running martingale during a test.

BravadoThePony 11-28-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Do you think it would be a good idea to use it to get my horse used to flexing more?
Martingales should NEVER be used for flexing or headset.
They are there to prevent the horse from cracking you in the skull with their head. If you are using it to get your horse to flex, you are using it wrong.

tinyliny 11-28-2011 05:01 PM

There is no form of martingale legal in dressage competition. none.

Are you taking dressage lessons?

Endiku 11-28-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4CodyCole (Post 1247124)

I'm honestly completely and 100% against artificial aids and gimmick such as martingales, tie-downs, etc. They build a false security and teach a horse to brace against the bit, rather than to give in to it. It can also create a hard mouth and ignorance on the part of both rider and horse. Pulling a horse's head down into the 'correct' position is just putting a bandaid on a broken bone. To get flexation, you must teach your horse to round his body and push from his hindquarters, When you have his body in-frame and working hard, his head will fall into the correct position naturally- no extra ropes or pulleys needed.

Really, a running martingale will do you more harm than good.

As a fellow member said recently in another thread talking about side-reins; If you're experienced enough to use them correctly without screwing up your horse more, then you're experienced enough not to need them in the first place.

brackenbramley 11-28-2011 06:00 PM

NOOOO MARTINGALES IN DRESSAGE :) as stated before never ever used to force the poor horses head down just to stop a lovely broken nose and teeth from being cracked in the head which i have myself sported lol x

~*~anebel~*~ 11-28-2011 06:10 PM

They are allowed in the warm up ring, but not in the competition ring.