The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   If you could write a letter to your horse, what would yours say? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/if-you-could-write-letter-your-104739/)

meganishername 11-29-2011 12:58 AM

If you could write a letter to your horse, what would yours say?

http://i40.tinypic.com/fon3vp.jpg

Dear Kidd;

We have come such a long way you and me.
It has been a long 2 years. What a long two years it has been!

When I first got you ; you looked sad. Of course I was sad too. I guess
a sad soul can recgonize a sad soul. You were standing in a corner stall
all alone and muddy. You were just a year old ... but you looked like you've lived enough. Your owner saved you from a kill pen in Navada. She picked you because she saw your potential. At the time I didn't see it. I couldn't even pet you, you reared and ran away from me. I kept trying, and finally you let me touch you. I was new to horses ; and you were new to humans. I needed a well trained older horse .... everyone agreed. BUT I rememered you. You were like me in so many ways. You were scared, un trusting and terrifed. Maybe you even wished you were dead. The only difference between is is that you were a horse and I was a drug addict.

There were many other horses Kidd, but my father bought you for me at 600$. I was way in over my head. It tooks hours for me to try and get a halter on you. Most of the time i'd got furusterated and quit. You did the same, you were having NO part of it. Untill one day... You just stood there and let me put a halter on you. No problems! I cried in joy and instead of going home and looking for cocaine ; I went home with a big smile on my face and talked horses with my dad all day because I was so exicted.

You took up so much of my time that I couldn't party so much anymore. I saw you everyday, without fail. Our bound grew strong. You followed me around everywhere, it made me so happy. I finally found a friend. You whinnied when you saw me ... i'd always run up to you and give you a hug. "Horse hug Kidd", whithout fail he'd wrap his neck around me.

But it wasn't easy for both of us. You had your moments and sometimes i'd slip up and do drugs or drink again. But nothing is easy, right boy?

I didn't have enough experience to break you, so we hired the local stable hand to train you. He rode you the first day. He galloped you the second week. You never bucked, reared. He said you were the best horse he'd ever broke, and I believe him. I rode you for the first time before last summer. I was sooo terrifed. You were good to me. I, being a new rider, made so many mistakes but you continued to forgive me. Thank you Kidd, no one else ever did.

You the the horse everyone said could never be ridden... now i'm riding you on roads in a semi busy country town. I'm loping you around the arena. Still no buck. Still no rear. You give me 100% all the time and I know sometimes I don't deserve it.

I'm the drug addict that everyone said couldn't quit... I was giving sexual favors for drugs and now i'm riding you Kidd! You ARE my drug, and you taught me trust... not every guy is bad... not every guy is gonna hurt me the way /he/ did that dark night.

You saved my life baby boy...

I love you.

I love you a lot.

We will go somewhere.

Far....

We will win rodeo's...
or hey maybe we'll jump?

The sky is the limit for you and me.

~ Megan.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2d8iady.jpg
1st time with a saddle.

faye 11-29-2011 01:43 AM

Dear Reeco

I realie that the world is a very scarey place, that omething in your past has been horrific and that this ridden lark is all new to you. However please trust me, I've spend a hell of a lot of money training you to the point you are now so I'm not going to let the leaf monster eat you.

I also realise that you may find it fun to jump your own shadow and spook at the jump wings tht have been in the school forever, I however do not like landing on the floor and my back has taken far too much abuse recently.

I love you to bits pony but this one little thing would be nice in return for all the rugs, feed, stable, feed and love i've given you.

Faye

SorrelHorse 11-29-2011 02:27 AM

That's an excellant story :) I actually have two letters I need to write....For the two most important horses in my life. Excuse any typos...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...40342825_n.jpg

Dear Rebel,

I found you in the worst condition. You were so skinny, so full of worms. They said you were fifteen...But you were not. You were nearing twenty with so much life left. I couldn't leave you there once I saw how skinny you were, so I traded my beloved favorite barrel saddle and got you for myself. I was too young and stupid to know anything about getting you up to weight, so Mom helped me. When I rode you, you would run off and ignore my signals. You bit me when I tried to get on you. But I didn't give up. I just kept fighting you until I got what I wanted. I loved you because you had the nastiest personality in the world; And so did I. We meshed. Even on our camping trip when you spooked at everything, ran away with me, and crowded other horses I loved you. When I got the opportunity to send you to training, I cried when I left you there because I couldn't bear the thought of not seeing you every morning before school even though I knew it was just a short time and I would still be riding you. I guess I was just emotional. But I remember taking a lesson on you...Hearing my trainer's voice when we finally nailed your very first flying lead change. You did it perfect....Like you'd been doing it all your life. No questions asked. I remember exactly what she said. "Yee-haw girl, we'll make an Eq. horse out of him yet!"

And so we got you ready for equestrian team...Gave you all the preperation an training I could afford. But it still wasn't enough to prepare you for my nerves. I tried to hold it together, but I couldn't. Our barrel runs were horrible. Our dressage and stock seat even worse. You were scared because I was scared; I had been competing all my life, but I had never felt a horse respond like you. But you made it up to me in the bareback games that night, during the dollar bill race. You listened to me so well, you made your gaits so easy to ride that night. You won me $50 that night. No, it may not have been a big 1D Rodeo check, but it was money YOU had won me. And I used it to buy you a custom halter and a bag of treats. Two months later we placed first in an endurance ride. I cut up my prize logo'd shirt and made it into boot covered for you.

Thank you baby. Thank you for teaching me how to fall, and how to feel pain. Thank you for teaching me how to train. You've taught me everything I know. Many horses cae before you....But you're the one who stuck the most.

Love your one and only girl,
- Michaela.

And, the second one...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...81623228_n.jpg

Dear Bailey,

I've only been with you for one summer and the fall. Since June. Almost six months. But I knew the minute I went to look at you, that I had to ride you. We had to win.

I had been out to your owners a few months before looking at a differant horse for my friend. She wanted an equestrian team horse too but was scared of the power the horse posessed. She wasn't ready, but I wanted that horse. I rode her and knew she could be a winner. But, I couldn't afford her.

At the end of the season I considered selling my second horse. I called your owner, asking if that sorrel mare was still available. When she said she wasn't I was heartbroken; but, the saving sentence was this:

"But, I have this bay mare who's been patterned...."

And so I came to see you. When I saw you I wasn't sure. You were big, fat, out of shape. But the second I sat in the saddle and rode you I knew you were some kinda barrel horse. I just wasn't sure what kind yet. So I started coming down once or twice a week to ride you, and fell more and more in love. We advanced to taking lessons at the barn together. I got you back to work. I didn't know how to ride you; my other barrel horses felt so differant. They were so...Automatic. I never really appreciated it until I rode you. I had to help you more. I had to drive you. I had to plan every single step. I'll never forget when I stepped on the gas for the first time; I wasn't supposed to. But that's the sweetest kind of reward, the kind you were never supposed to get.

I made my first real run on you yesterday. You made it like a champ, tight turns and fast stretches.... I know you were scared of that gate when we went back towards it, but you push on past it because I told you to and you trusted me enough to listen. That was the biggest moment for us; Because you never did anything like that before. If you were scared, you took off and didn't give a dan what I had to say.

Thank you Bailey. You're just like Rebel. You taught me how a barrel horse really rides. I thought I could ride before, and I won a lot...But I never had to really train for it. I never had to help my other horses, just point them and tell them when to turn.

Love your "Fearless" partner,
- Michaela

And to both of them....Thank you for keeping me together when I wanted to stop living. When people in my life passed away. When I had to step up to the plate and I wasn't comfortable enough to do so. When you both came into my life, and I was nowhere near ready....But I knew I had to make you both mine. Thank you for letting me be me when no one else would.

DancingWithSunny 11-29-2011 06:25 AM

My darling Sundance,
There are no words on this earth to describe how much you mean to me. I knew the moment we met that we were soulmates. Everyone always comments on pictures from when I got you, saying how I saved you, how I fixed you. It's not true sweetheart. Yes, you were a scrawny, underweight, scared little boy, but really, the fixing was the other way around. You took a girl who was self concious, shy, scared to speak to anyone, had no confidence in herself at all, and fixed her. You fixed me baby. You've given me so much life, I can now walk around with my head held high all because of you, you showed me that I was worth people's time, worth paying attention to. Because I was worth your time.
I love you my darling boy, you are the reason I smile, thank you so much for being in my life, I will never be able to thank you enough.
All my love, for all my life,
Mummy

And I guess in a way, we kinda fixed each other too. - Red Pollard, Seabiscuit

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...10829-1727.jpg

meganishername 11-29-2011 11:12 AM

Beautiful stories:)