The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horrid, dreadful horse owner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horrid-dreadful-horse-owner-104759/)

Gallop On 11-29-2011 10:50 AM

Horrid, dreadful horse owner

Okay, so now I feel like a terrible horse owner for not noticing something was possibly wrong sooner. So here is my rant/question.

I rescued my boy almost a year ago, and the first thing we had done was a vet check. The vet checked him out and found him to be healthy. Only skinny. Months later he was at a perfect weight, and my complete dream horse. He had not one single mean bone in him. Maybe some crazeyz, but not a drop of meanness. After owning him for about... 9 months, and only doing Western and Bareback, I finally had a dream come true, and got an English saddle. The transition was great! But, I started noticing something a little after we had purchased the English saddle. (like 1-2 weeks after) He started giving me pissy ears, and pissy looks whenever I gave him a tiny squeeze to get him going. (I don't kick him, he has never liked it, and last time someone kicked him, they immidiatly got bucked off) These pissy looks were coming more and more often, till the point that at any time I even barely squeezed him he always would give me a pissy look. Then, I started noticing that when I squeezed from a walk to a trot, he would do the pissy look, and walk a few more steps, until I squeezed one last time before he would finally trot, his face back to its normal, happy self. So, I know its sounds absolutely horrid, but I didnt think anything about this. Until now. I got up early this morning, and went out to hop on and ride my boy bareback before the day started. I left his blanket on as it was absolutley, perfectly, freezing. I hopped on him and he trotted off. When we got to were we ride I squeezed him and he gave me another pissy look, walked some more, and I squeezed one more time before he finally trotted. We got to a spot were we can almost get into a gallop before we have to slow down, and we took off. I squeezed, he gave pissy look, but obeyed and kept going. Next time around, I squeezed, and he pinned his ears, and kicked/buck (you could barely feel the buck, and it wasnt really a buck, as to kick out his foot he had to have raised his hind end. Anyway, he kicked out, and kicked the foot were I had barely squeezed him. I didnt know it was possible to bend like that. After that I hopped off, something was wrong. I went and fed him after that, and felt all along his girth line, he ears stayed pricked forward, and showed no signs of pain. So, now I'm wondering if this is maybe the girth on the English saddle gave him a bruise? Or is it possibly something inside him? And oh, take note, when I squeeze him, its only for about 2 seconds before I let off and he is usually already going. So, before you say call the vet, which I am going to do, what does it sound like? Please!

Gallop On 11-29-2011 11:02 AM

Let me add, about a week ago he started pinning his ears with the pissy look while I tightened the girth, and he continued doing so until I started tightening it up one hole, stop, brush, second hole, stop, brush, and so forth. He is not a mean, or lazy horse, and once he starts running, after I squeeze him forward, he fairly flies.

DuffyDuck 11-29-2011 11:07 AM

Firstly, have you checked the saddle fits correctly, and that your Western saddle does too? He'll be changing shape quickly if you brought him back form bad condition and are now working him.

Get his back checked by a chiro, he may have popped a rib.

But honestly-it may be sour. He may be thinking he doesn't want to do the work, and you can find this sometimes. I have seen some of your other threads with you jumping and what not- I've had my mare 5 and a half months, and it'll be a long time before I put a jump in front of her but everyone is different.

Have you tried just taking him out for a plod and a walk, just let him chill out without pressure of having to do things?

Get him checked out though and rule out pain!

Oh, and you are NOT a horrid dreadful horse owner- you're trying to find a solution. If you weren't trying to help the situation you would be a horrid horse owner ;)

DuffyDuck 11-29-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallop On (Post 1247934)
Let me add, about a week ago he started pinning his ears with the pissy look while I tightened the girth, and he continued doing so until I started tightening it up one hole, stop, brush, second hole, stop, brush, and so forth. He is not a mean, or lazy horse, and once he starts running, after I squeeze him forward, he fairly flies.

Call me crazy- stomach ulcers. I don't know much and hopefully others will be able to help but do your research and if it sounds like he fits call the vet x

Alwaysbehind 11-29-2011 11:17 AM

I second the idea of ulcers.

Gallop On 11-29-2011 11:20 AM

Oh my... paying for a vet bill does not sound very nice, but I'd rather have a healthy, happy horse. Yup, the English saddle fits, had a fitter check it out. So, it doesnt sound like the girth is like bruising? Oh, and yes, I have done some threads on jumping, but I have been jumping on him from nearly the first day we got him, accept it was bareback. Maybe he is just being sour, and if so, how do I stop that?

Gallop On 11-29-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 1247951)
I second the idea of ulcers.

Oh no... now Im worried :shock:

Gallop On 11-29-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1247939)
Call me crazy- stomach ulcers. I don't know much and hopefully others will be able to help but do your research and if it sounds like he fits call the vet x

I looked up some of the symptoms, and only two of the like 5 sort of match.

Attitude changes (not too much, at all)
Poor performance (Iffy)

DuffyDuck 11-29-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallop On (Post 1247957)
I looked up some of the symptoms, and only two of the like 5 sort of match.

Attitude changes (not too much, at all)
Poor performance (Iffy)

A friend on a different forum had the same issues, her horse was going brilliantly and started to stop allowing her to tack him up, and then went crazy-stomach ulcers. I'll put the link on here. Vets bills are part and parcel of having horses, and if it is ulcers, better to catch them now.

Gallop On 11-29-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1247965)
A friend on a different forum had the same issues, her horse was going brilliantly and started to stop allowing her to tack him up, and then went crazy-stomach ulcers. I'll put the link on here. Vets bills are part and parcel of having horses, and if it is ulcers, better to catch them now.

I agree. Although the more I look at the symptoms, the more and more I think he doesnt have them.

~a change in attitude - Is your horse more nervous than usual or less willing to perform? Does he seem grouchy or "out of it" for no apparent reason?
(He doesnt seem out of it, maybe a tiny bit grouchy, never unwilling, and never nervous)

~colic - Is your horse showing signs of low-grade colic, a persistent mild discomfort that may cause him to turn his head toward his flank, lie down excessively, paw or fail to finish a meal? (From what I heard, he has never had colic. Never had it here, and never had it with previous owners)

~decreased performance - Is your horse not as "fluid" as normal? Could his usually fine movement be described as below average? (Actually, he has been progressing faster than I imagined. He is getting more precise in everything we do)

~a decline in body condition - Is your horse's coat not quite as sleek and shiny as it once was? Does he look "unthrifty" or just plain poor? (Not a chance. He has a shiny, new, thick winter coat coming in.)

~weight loss - Has your horse dropped weight, up to but not more than 10 percent of his body weight? (If anything, he is gaining weight)

~dull - Is your horse generally lackluster and seemingly without energy? (Never a moment without energy.)

I heard that you can give your horse 20 tums, 3-5 times a day, and if they change, for the better, then they have stomach problems. Ever heard of this? Would you ever recommend doing this?