The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   im thinking about blowdrying my horse after a winter workout.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/im-thinking-about-blowdrying-my-horse-104766/)

Kymbadina 11-29-2011 11:00 AM

im thinking about blowdrying my horse after a winter workout....

Why not? I figure, cooler over his body then starting at neck I can blowdry him. Slowely move the cooler back as I'm blowdrying. Medium heat on high. Its not hot enough to risk burning him. And the air isn't cold so he wont get a chill. I'm 99% sure my gelding wont mind a blowdryer. If he does, I'll deal with it. But I usually ride in the evenings when its even colder(schedule so morning/noon rides aren't an option)
Does anyone see any harm coming from this? He's grown and incredibly fuzzy coat this year and its just now temps to start blanketing..
does anybody else dry their horse this way? I can even get the attatchment for curly hair. So its more like a drying curry.
Posted via Mobile Device

RoosterDo 11-29-2011 11:17 AM

I think it will take forever and a day if you plan on using a blow dryer for people but you can get a high velocity dryer used for dogs and although they are much louder with a bit of work you can get your guy used to it and get the work done much quicker.

mls 11-29-2011 11:35 AM

I towel dry my horses and then put a cooler on them.

Blow drying a horse is a waste of electricity and would burn out the blow dryer in a short period of time.

Kymbadina 11-29-2011 11:37 AM

Luckily for me we don't get charged extra for electricity ;) I'm a okay with burning out a cheap hair dryer.
I'll have to look into getting a high powered dog one..
Posted via Mobile Device

Allison Finch 11-29-2011 11:39 AM

Most of the barns I have trained at had heat lamps in the wash stall. It allowed us to wash year round and it helped dry horses quickly. This site shows a set-up like ours. I am sure you could rig up something yourself that is much cheaper. Just make SURE you have an electrician wire the area appropriately. These lights need high voltage and careful wiring. Doing it poorly could, probably, be a fire hazard.

http://www.kalglo.com/horsehtr.htm

http://www.kalglo.com/images/heaters/sam.jpg

mls 11-29-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbadina (Post 1248028)
Luckily for me we don't get charged extra for electricity ;) I'm a okay with burning out a cheap hair dryer.
I'll have to look into getting a high powered dog one..
Posted via Mobile Device

So it's ok to drive up the electric bill for the barn?

Skyseternalangel 11-29-2011 11:49 AM

When sweat "dries" it gets the hair matted and you need to do a thorough currying so your horse can keep themselves warm when out in the elements.

I'm still concerned about a hairdryer burning the horse's skin.. I think if you are not okay with waiting around for him to cool off, then why not clip him? Then he can keep his blanket and you won't have to wait for him to cool off as long.

And it saves the barn from a spike in their electricity bill.

Alwaysbehind 11-29-2011 12:30 PM

I can not say I have ever boarded at a barn with heat lamps. Even the way fancy expensive barn(s) with indoor hot and cold water wash stalls do not have heat lamps and we do not wash the entire horse all year around.

I can not see a barn owner thinking installing heat lamps is OK if you board.

Before you decide to use a blow dryer on your horse check with the barn owner to see if it is OK with them. I tend to lean towards the towel drying and curry technique. If your horse gets so sweaty that doing that is too much work it is time to re-think your blanketing system and/or clipping.

Sunny 11-29-2011 12:34 PM

My barn has a heat lamp, and so did the barn that I frequently visited before.

Both also had hot/cold water.
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 11-29-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1248030)
Most of the barns I have trained at had heat lamps in the wash stall. It allowed us to wash year round and it helped dry horses quickly. This site shows a set-up like ours. I am sure you could rig up something yourself that is much cheaper. Just make SURE you have an electrician wire the area appropriately. These lights need high voltage and careful wiring. Doing it poorly could, probably, be a fire hazard.

That is actually a infrared heater. We have one we use for foaling and calving. It only heats the critter - not the air or the bedding.

Quite $$$.