The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Favorite/ Least favorite horse related smell. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/favorite-least-favorite-horse-related-smell-104777/)

musicalmarie1 11-29-2011 12:36 PM

Favorite/ Least favorite horse related smell.

Personally, I hate the smell of wet horse. It's as bad as wet dog-- ew!

But when their not wet, I love to just put my face on their neck and sniff-- normal horsey smell is so awesome! And leather... I always associate leather smell with horses.

What about you?

kitten_Val 11-29-2011 12:41 PM

Some horses are fed with something that makes sh*t out of their poop. I have no problem with the manure smell (I pick mine every day), but piles from some horses smell awful (on parking lots or on trail).

Skyseternalangel 11-29-2011 12:47 PM

I also love the smell of horse, especially my horse.. he smells different. And a nice different. I also like the smell of hay and manure.

I hate the smell of a barn that has poor grooming habits (and it's not their fault of course) but we visited an Andalusian breeding and training for high levels barn. Holy cheese it reeked, my nose burned so much. Usually when I smell horse urine (in the arena..) it smells like apple cider.. but this was terrible. It was like all the yuck was fermenting.. so gross.

Corporal 11-29-2011 12:49 PM

Favorite
Smelling their necks.
LOVE the smell of leather, and I love to clean and oil my leather tack
LEAST Favorite
Thrush or old smegma. yuch!!!!
Really dirty stall.
Hate to mention this one, and hope you never have to smell it--when your old horse (one of mine lived to be 35 yo) passes away, and you end up waiting a few days for Animal By-Products to collect the body--AFTER I've removed the mane and tail parts for saving and future sobbing!!!--the smell can only be cleaned up with bleach.

ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr 11-29-2011 12:56 PM

Yeah I'm with you, Corporal, on the thrush and smegma one! Blah! Smegma is probably the worst 'cos it lingers around more on your hands (if you don't use gloves of course!)

I LOVE the smell of hay and horse skin! Perfume that in a bottle any day!

LetAGrlShowU 11-29-2011 01:00 PM

Favorite horse smell- leather and good hay

least favorite- horse urine, and dirty saddle pad

diggerchick 11-29-2011 04:31 PM

favourite- i love the smell of a horse in general, i dont mind the smell of horse poop or anything as i clean alot of it! lol..but the smell i dislike would be thrush, wet horse

gaelgirl 11-29-2011 06:16 PM

I actually don't mind the smell of wet horse. But my favorite smell is horse+leather, and my least favorite smell is thrush.

AllegroAdante 11-29-2011 06:53 PM

My favorite smell is probably the smell of horse "breath"...like if you stick your nose right up to their nostril when they exhale.....or the smell of a stable when you first walk in.

I don't think there's a smell I don't like ....well I guess horsey gas doesn't smell to great.

Sliding4ever 11-29-2011 07:57 PM

Love the way the way they smell when you bury your face in their neck.
Hate the way thrush and wet horse fart smell.