The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Buying a show coat - looking for suggestions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/buying-show-coat-looking-suggestions-104792/)

With Grace 11-29-2011 03:52 PM

Buying a show coat - looking for suggestions

I'm hoping to start showing in some walk/trot English equitation classes in February, and then starting schooling level dressage tests in April. I'd like to buy a coat I can wear for both (I'll be showing in a dressage saddle for both, just fyi). I am planning on going to go try some on for fit, but since I've been out of the showing world for 20 years, I don't have any idea of what people are now wearing for equitation classes and schooling shows. I'm 38, love fashion and LOVE show clothes...but I'm clueless on what is going on outside my barn :oops:

~*~anebel~*~ 11-29-2011 04:10 PM

If you are wanting to show Dressage then the jackets in style for that are generally slim cut, 3 button front coats with one center vent or split up the back with two buttons on the lower back and buttons on the sleeves. If you have money to burn and want the new "it" jacket then look into Animo. It's an Italian brand and the jackets are all beautiful with lots of colour options and are machine washable and very breathable.
It's also cool now that helmets are mandatory and jacket colour rules are more lax to get a funky coloured helmet and match your coat to it. I have a beige or cream helmet (its a Kep, also an Italian brand) and for my next non tailcoat I want an olive or dark grey jacket with a cream collar, cream pocket accents, etc...

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

With Grace 11-29-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1248384)
I have a beige or cream helmet (its a Kep, also an Italian brand) and for my next non tailcoat I want an olive or dark grey jacket with a cream collar, cream pocket accents, etc...

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

This sounds gorgeous! I will be looking up these designers to see what fun combo I can come up with...though if I am schooling, will I look like a "poser" in expensive "it" brands? I dont want to overdo it LOL

With Grace 11-29-2011 04:24 PM

I should have never looked at Animo! The colored vents and piping...I need a vacation to Italy just to go tour some tack shops.

So I have a chocolate Charles Owen helmet that I splurged on, and would love to wear while showing...A chocolate coat with black piping would be ok to test in do you think?

~*~anebel~*~ 11-29-2011 04:43 PM

I don't know where exactly you are, but check your national rules. In North America as long as the jacket is darker than a certain saturation value you are all good!

I know I made the mistake of trying on a bunch of Animo stuff at a tack shop (where I got my Kep hat) and I'm now pinching my pennies to get a new tailcoat!! I have a black top hat, so I would probably get a black or dark grey one with the same cream detailing as the jacket I want too :P

I always appreciate a well dressed rider! As long as you aren't out dressing the horse and he is just as well clipped and groomed as your jacket is tailored you will definitely stand out, but in the best way!! I love fashion I just need more money :P Lol. Go for it!

With Grace 11-29-2011 04:49 PM

A grey tailcoat with a black top hat would be lovely!

I also am now going to be pinching pennies for a droolworthy show wardrobe...the show clothes budget is going to need some padding for sure.