The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best Saddle Brands (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-saddle-brands-104836/)

Lauradod 11-29-2011 11:11 PM

Best Saddle Brands

I realize this may be a "sticky" subject, but I would love some opinions about the best brands of saddles. I have been searching the forums and have seen several posts that have said to buy the best brand - either new or used - but I am not sure what the "best" brands are.

I am in the market for a trail-type saddle - probably Western, but am also thinking about Australian and/or endurance.

Looking forward to your feedback.

smrobs 11-29-2011 11:19 PM

Most of the big name brands; Circle Y, Billy Cook (the ones made in Oklahoma), some of the Simco's, etc will generally be good saddles and hold their value very well if they are cared for.

Just as another option, I got my newest saddle custom made by Corriente Saddle Co. in New Mexico and I have been extremely happy with it. It's sturdy and well made and, just as important, it was affordable. If you have a horse that would fit in a FQHB saddle with a 7 inch gullet (standard size for most average stock horses), I would suggest you give them a look because you can customize your saddle through them to get what you want instead of just taking whatever happens to be on Ebay or in the local tack store.

diggerchick 11-30-2011 04:36 PM

I like billy cook and Teskey for western saddles and stubben for english :) but I know there is way nicer english saddles but I only use the ones at my barn...and the one I use is a stubben..and my western saddle is teskey barrel edition
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 11-30-2011 07:01 PM

I had Alamo trail saddle and loved it.

SaddleOnline 11-30-2011 09:38 PM

A lot of the "brand" debate boils down to how a saddle fits you and your horse. Its a bit like blue jeans in some ways - some brands fit some body types better than others or feel more comfortable to some people than others.

I like certain features more than "brands" per say - a deep seat with plenty of padding and unique design and detail.