The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   anyone using a Furminator? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/anyone-using-furminator-104837/)

ThursdayNext 11-29-2011 11:16 PM

anyone using a Furminator?

I just found one at a great price and snapped it up. I Furminate my cat, and can already see with Huey's winter coat where this thing is going to come in handy.

So my question is, when is the time to use it? I'm assuming that I shouldn't use it now because he seems to have *just* gotten his winter coat in, his neck is all curly now!, and I don't want to thin that out at all. But I'm not sure how I will know when the time is right to use it.

Also, can you use them over the summer? I seem to remember that Huey shed out a couple of times, or for a pretty long period, over the summer. Should I use it until I stop getting big waves of loose hairs busting into the air every time I make a pass with the flick brush?

MyBoyPuck 11-29-2011 11:25 PM

Furmanators work great for shedding horses! You'll know when to use it in early spring when you find your clothes constantly covered in horse hair. No sense in using it in winter. He needs the coat now.

Skyseternalangel 11-29-2011 11:56 PM

What is a furminator... it sounds crazy..

waresbear 11-30-2011 12:05 AM

Oh I love my furminator, best shedding tool on the market that I have tried. Skyseternalangel, the furminator is a shedding brush that comes in different sizes for pets & horses. It is awesome, cuts down on my brushing time in the spring by many, many hours. The pet one is dynamite as well.

AQHA13 11-30-2011 12:22 AM

I furminate my cat, dog, rabbit, and both horses! It is probably on of my favorite tools! Primarily I use it in the spring...

Skyseternalangel 11-30-2011 12:46 AM

Huh I have never heard of this.. will look into it definitely!

Duren 11-30-2011 01:16 AM

If you cant afford the brand name tool (they're pretty expensive), its pretty much a 40 blade with a handle. They do work great though.

ThursdayNext 11-30-2011 08:29 AM

My cat actually LOVES to be Furminated. I bring that thing out, and he comes running and lies right down. It's the weirdest thing. And I always seem to get enough fur out of him to knit a whole other cat out of. The best bit is that he stops shedding for a couple of weeks after I go over him thoroughly.

I'd tried 1,000 different brushes and combs and stuff because my cat sheds like CRAZY. My vet recommended this Furminator, and I thought, for that amount of money, that better be one amazing brush. They had a satisfaction-or-money-back offer going at the time, so I took a chance. Woo!

Then when Huey's winter coat started coming in, I thought, oh boy, all that is going to come back out at some point. My trainer showed me a shedding blade, but then I remembered that they made Furminators for horses too.

It sounds like I will KNOW when it is the right time to use it! Thank you all!

walkinthewalk 12-01-2011 09:48 AM

The FURminator is a de-shedding tool and a very pricey one, unless you can find them cheap on Ebay. DeShedding Tools - FURminator® Official Site

I buy the knock-offs for Large Dogs at Tractor Supply. I think the large dog model works every bit as good. Tractor Supply - Search Results for deshedding tools

I have learned that a Furminator is a good all year round cleaning tool:D

The blade on TSC's large dog version is an inch shorter than the equine version but, that actually works better when you're trying to comb out the hair right in the armpits and down the backs of the legs.

I've discovered they work really great for stopping potential rain rot if the horse is groomed at least every other day.

I rake their top lines and butt all year long; you can't use as much pressure up there when they only have their summer coats, but it sure does a good job of digging up dander/sweat patches.