The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ignorant Romeo seeking gift advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ignorant-romeo-seeking-gift-advice-104898/)

tjhart 11-30-2011 04:14 PM

Ignorant Romeo seeking gift advice

I know nothing about horses. I'm trying to pique the interest of a woman who owns a young male Tennessee Walking Horse. I'd like to buy a thoughtful gift for her.

I'm open to all sorts of ideas and advice. From the gift itself, to a horse oriented web site selling merchandise, to good books about horses so I'll be able to make my own informed choices.

So what do you say?

Speed Racer 11-30-2011 04:42 PM

Are you actually dating her? Because gifts from merely a wanna-be suitor are kind of creepy.

I know you didn't want to hear that, but it's the truth. Unless I'm romantically involved with a man or he's a member of my family, I don't accept gifts from him.

Instead of trying to 'pique her interest' by giving her something she hasn't asked for and isn't expecting, just ask her about her horse. Trust me, you want to get in good with a horsewoman, act interested in her animal. Oh, and bring carrots for the horse. :wink:

Ray MacDonald 11-30-2011 04:50 PM

I agree! I had a boyfriend who gave me a christmas present... I am for some reason really weird about getting presents... I broke up with him after that...

Ask her about her horse! Seem intrested in what she is intrested in, maybe even ask to meet him :)

tjhart 11-30-2011 04:50 PM

She's receptive to gifts

Oh, she and I have a relationship. Close friends kind of dancing around getting romantically involved. We have and do talk about her horse. She's enjoying the gifts I've sent so far. Dinners together with her are nice. :D

I just don't anything about horses.

Speed Racer 11-30-2011 04:59 PM

Okay, that helps clear things up. I'm glad you're not some stalker type dude who only peripherally knows this woman. :wink:

I'm going to try and put this as nicely as I can; horse people don't want horse related gifts from nonhorse people. Horse gifts from nonhorse people tend to suck eggs, especially if they're a 'surprise'.

If you really want to get her a gift, ask her for a detailed list (sizes, colors) of things she'd like, then go to a tack shop and ask the people there to help you. Seriously.

I'm an English rider. Rode saddleseat and English pleasure when I showed, and now I ride in Hunter paces and trail ride in my English saddle. ALL of the gifts I've gotten from nonhorse people over the years have been Western related.

Um, thanks? Nice to know you have NO CLUE what I do! Props for caring, though.

Endiku 11-30-2011 05:10 PM

I'd agree with SR on this one. It's kind of like a non-sporty girl trying to sound smart about football. It's cute to hear 'oh yay! That really big guy that looks like a sumo wrestler got the ball and made a basket!....why aren't you cheering?' and it turns out it was someone from the other team, making the winning touchdown. Good to know they care enough to try, but halarious and sometimes a bit embarressing or annoying that they're totally off.

I work with two miniature horses (26" and 34" tall) that are my life, and am always 'needing' new things for them, and last year around christmas I casually said that I needed a new rug (a kind of jacket for a horse, in the cold weather) because I wanted to clip Sour (one of the minis) and she had chewed through hers. My best friend was listening, and looked at me funny before walking off. On christmas-eve he gave me a package that contained a floor matt with a cheesy looking horse with eyebrows on it, and told me not to put it near my horse again. :lol: I regret saying that I almost combusted from laughing so hard.

Better to just ask her what she wants, and have her give you a description/size/etc, or even better- take her for a horsey shopping trip! Let her pick it out and don't be suprised if she wants to stay there for half the day ;) we can get a bit carried away. That, or you could always get her a local tack shop gift card or something.

Ray MacDonald 11-30-2011 05:15 PM

A gift card would be nice! Not sure about the "Take her shopping" You don't want her to 'accidentaly' drain your wallet LOL

A nice horse necklace would also be nice :)

Saddlebag 11-30-2011 05:45 PM

I don't agree about horse gifts from non horse people. My future DIL gave me a nice nylon halter with matching lead. Her gift was much appreciated. I didn't need any more halters but her effort to connect was what impressed me.

Skyseternalangel 11-30-2011 06:07 PM

A gift for birthday/Christmas/etc. what is it. You could always do something not horse related too.. maybe something romantic like a day trip or whatnot if it's her birthday.

For Christmas, hmm.. I think anything goes. Maybe something not to do with her actual horse, but something that speaks to her but is also practical like a horse themed checkbook cover or something.

Jewelry is nice too but make sure it's special!

kitten_Val 11-30-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1249518)
I'm going to try and put this as nicely as I can; horse people don't want horse related gifts from nonhorse people. Horse gifts from nonhorse people tend to suck eggs, especially if they're a 'surprise'.

So very true!

My advice would be the same: ask her something like "I'd love to get something horsey for you for X-mas, but I don't know what. May be you can help me?" :wink: