The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Weird thing Brickens does (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/weird-thing-brickens-does-10493/)

mudypony 06-23-2008 02:26 PM

Weird thing Brickens does

Whenever I am brushing Brickens tail or washing it he always holds it to the side kind of crooked. It looks like he's trying to avoid pain or something. I was just wondering what you guys thought about it and if I need to get the vet out to check it out. He can swish his tail around just fine to the the flies but when I touch his tailbone or his rump near his tail he starts holding it funny again. I'll try to get a pic next time I'm out at the barn but I was just wondering what you thought.

chasin the dream 06-23-2008 02:50 PM

my mare does the same thing like if i grab her tailbone to brush the tail...i thik its the whole "omg ur touching my tail!!! oh no!! " thing...it feels weird to them. its like a nerve thing i do belive.

mudypony 06-23-2008 03:26 PM

I'm glad to hear that Brickens isn't the only one. Do you think it hurts them or they're just doing it to scare you? I personally don't think it hurts him because he can swoosh at the flies just fine it probably just tickles him.

Jubilee Rose 06-23-2008 04:52 PM

I don't think its anything serious and I wouldn't recommend getting the vet out for that. That would be a lot of money for nothing, IMO. Shows you care alot for your horse though. :wink: I'm sure he's fine.

mudypony 06-23-2008 05:11 PM

Thanks Jubilee. I just wanted to know what you guys thought because I didn't know if it could turn out to be something serious. Thanks again for the help.

PoptartShop 06-23-2008 05:18 PM

I also don't think it's anything to be worried about. ;) Some horses just have their silly behaviors, LOL! :lol:

My2Geldings 06-23-2008 05:35 PM

A mare I used to ride used to do it but she would do it because she wanted a rub. With some horses I think it's the same as the lip lift they do when you get a soft spot. Should rub her tail and see how she responds.

mudypony 06-23-2008 05:49 PM

Thanks! M2G I'll try giving him a tail massage and see how he likes it.

jazzyrider 06-24-2008 03:25 AM

possum is terrible for this. every time i pick up a piece of hair when im braiding her tail she moves it away from my touch. so it goes left, right, left, right lol it does make it hard because the braid doesnt end up straight unless you compensate for it :) i wouldnt worry about it :)

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-24-2008 09:37 AM

Twister does this too. He moves it toward you, he likes his tail brushed and we don't do it often to avoid breakage. I wouldn't worry.