The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Silly, Really Silly question . . . . (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/silly-really-silly-question-10502/)

shona&Fizzi 06-23-2008 04:22 PM

Silly, Really Silly question . . . .

Well i own a 13.2 welsh cob mare, shes stocky and is turned out 24/7 due to havin COPD(like human asthma). She maybe gets fed a handful of cool mix + pony nuts + garlic granules a week as a treat.
But getting to the point, has sloppy pooh. She has always had it at the beginnig of the season when all the lush grass has come through, but it has never gone on this long.!!
She goes on about a 3 mile hack everyday but not sundays.

[Feel really stupid about this question as it seems so obvisious!! :roll: ]

Thanks xx

Jubilee Rose 06-23-2008 04:56 PM

Does she get a bale of hay a day? A horse needs about that much each day. If the grass is really long and lush, it could be because of that, if that's all she's eating all day. She needs a good balance between hay and grass. What are pony nuts and whats in cool mix? It could also be her grain. Pony nuts sounds like something that would cause diarrehea.

shona&Fizzi 06-23-2008 05:06 PM

she isnt alowed hay becos of the disease she had.
Pony nuts are just a pellets. and cool mix is just moisted musili.

xx

Jubilee Rose 06-23-2008 05:29 PM

Not allowed hay at all? That sounds strange to me. What did she have?

NorthernMama 06-23-2008 09:28 PM

I agree that she should have hay as well. Usually with COPD if you water the hay down well, feed it at ground level in flakes well spread (not round bales) she shouldn't have a problem with it. I think I would knock the treats out as well, or try them one at a time to eliminate the chance that maybe she has developed a sensitivity to one or more of them.

Is she drinking well? Is she lethargic at all?

loosie 06-24-2008 12:00 AM

Horses aren't designed to live on lush pasture. That is why it often causes probs & why hay is often necessary or preferable. I too would suspect that it is the dust and/or mould spores on hay that would cause any asthmatic probs, but of course check with your vet first. Perhaps you can move her to a poorer(in our view) paddock? Even if you feed her hay or such as well, she's still likely to eat a lot of the rich stuff if it's available.

KANSAS_TWISTER 06-24-2008 05:42 AM

we had a horse who could not eat hay due to the same thing, we ended up feeding alfafa pellets to him.....have you had the vet out to check the pony?

jeddah31 06-24-2008 07:49 PM

if your horse can't eat hay he needs some other form of roughage, chaff or something to help digest the pellets and rich grass

kickshaw 06-25-2008 10:14 AM

jeddah, i was about to suggest the same thing!

there are many types of forage that you can purchase that are dust free. i think chaff goes through a washing/cutting process anyway...call your vet and ask if it's alright that she have some in limited amounts.

is she on any ventipulmin or anything for her lungs??

shona&Fizzi 06-25-2008 04:32 PM

No she isnt aloud hay(at all)she has sweet chaff in a feed she has once a week.
I havent stable since xmas n before tht she was on equilage but thts about 10($20)or a bag tht wud last er a day and a half.
Even if i tried to give her hay/haylage she wudnt eat it(if you cud rather have a bag of old smelly haylage or a nice green paddock. whot wud you choose??)
I stabled her 2 days this week as she was lame and give her hay to eat, came bakk the nxt morning it was untouched.

Had the vet out to her n we have had ventipulpin 3 times and if we have the vet out about her COPD once more she will have to go in to the hospital. But the vet sed she is fine staying out all the time.

I gave her hay/haylage last year this time n it turned out i wasnt able to ride her out all summer becos of her COPD, so it did more damage than not, as she is welsh cob and got seriously overweight becos she never nos wen to stop eating!!.

xx