The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My Horse Wont Move off my leg (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-wont-move-off-my-105074/)

princecharming 12-02-2011 06:28 PM

My Horse Wont Move off my leg

my horse wont p unless i FORCE him. i tried spurs, and dressage whips. he is NOT is pain. can someone please help me to get him more responsive to my leg, and help us have a happier, more enthusiastic rides! thanks!
*he will move if following another horse. could it be a trust thing?
**hes a nine year old TB/WB cross, ive had him for 4 months. Hes 16 hands and im 5'2.

tinyliny 12-02-2011 06:36 PM

He will not even walk forward? Please elaborate.

Cinnys Whinny 12-02-2011 06:41 PM

Yes, please elaborate what you are trying to get him to do, move forward? Move sideways? Move shoulders? Move rear? All these cues are slightly different so it's easier to help you if we know what you want.

princecharming 12-02-2011 06:57 PM

hey, he will walk, very grumpily(?spelling) i just want him to move foreword. he refuses to trot or canter without following a horse

Skyseternalangel 12-02-2011 07:02 PM

And what about your own level of riding? How was he when you tried him? Do you take lessons? Have you ridden green horses? Are you used to riding school masters? Etc.

Give us a little more information :)

Cinnys Whinny 12-02-2011 07:07 PM

First thing, check your tack. Does everything fit correctly? Then make sure when you sit your horse that you aren't holding the reins tightly as this could cause a miscommunication, especially with a curb. Try this exercise some time, when there are no other horses. Completely DROP your reins, just let them hang down and give a nice even squeeze with both legs like you are squeezing a giant tube of toothpaste and your horses mouth is the hole the paste would come out of. Does it move forward with the reins dropped? If yes, then you are holding your reins too tight.

But if no, then it sounds like you may have a buddy sour horse on your hands that will not go without a friend. This isn't fun and will take a LOT of work and patience to get through. You will need to work without the presence of other horses as often as you can and NOT let your horse get away with this. I'm not sure what level rider you are, but it sounds like you may need a trainers help with this one. Someone who can help you make the immediate corrections your horse needs exactly when it needs it to get it to stop this stubborness. If it were my horse, I would give it a good smack with a popper or crop and MAKE it go forward, even if it's just a walk at first. You need to assert that YOU are the boss, not the horse.

princecharming 12-03-2011 08:00 AM

thanks for all this advice, but we figured out our problem! He wasn't comfortable with me riding him because he was unsure if he was safe with what i was telling him to do. (THANK YOU TO MY TRAINER). so to fix it, i had to spend a lot of time with him on the ground before i got on. grooming him, leading him and then finally leading him around the ring at the walk and trot. when i got on, i talked to him and he moved off my leg.

to answer the questions:
-ive had him for one month and this has never happened before. i rode bymeyself when i tried him, and he was very responsive.
-he did this with loose rein, dropped reins, different bits, halter and lead rope, bareback and bridle less.
-i have been riding for 6 years, I'm comfortable walk trot canter jump(up to 3'6) and i don't have lots of experience riding green horses, but I've ridden them before. if a schoolmaster is a push button pony, I've never ridden one of them. Mostly i rode really lazy horses and the occasional crazy guy.

but thank you SOO much for trying to help with prince and i. It was really helpful!

Skyseternalangel 12-03-2011 09:53 AM

I'm so glad you fixed it! After reading your replies to the questions it was pretty clear since you said when you rode him by yourself, he was responsive and that was a month ago.

I'm happy for you! :)