The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Should I wear a helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/should-i-wear-helmet-105075/)

Horsecrazy4ever 12-02-2011 06:31 PM

Should I wear a helmet?

Hiya! I was wondering how important it is to wear a helmet when you ride?

I ride western and just do trails around my property.

How many of you people out there were helmets when riding western?

What kind of helmet should one wear? pictures appreciated! :wink:

smrobs 12-02-2011 06:35 PM

Just a bit of warning, the helmet topic usually ends up in a debate :wink:.

That being said, I also ride western and I don't wear a helmet ever...don't even own one. However, if you would feel better if you were wearing a helmet, then by all means, get you one and wear it. It couldn't possibly hurt.

As for suggestions, I have no idea what are the best brands but I do know that you need to buy one that will fit you well.

tinyliny 12-02-2011 06:41 PM

Wearing helmets or not is an issue that gets repeatedly discussed here and can raise the ire of people on both sides of the issue. It is seen by some as just common sense and no reason to NOT wear a helmet by some (me included) and as an issue of personal choice by others who resent the babysitting attitude of helmet advocates.

What do you think? HOw high off the ground are you? Have you ever fallen off? Is your horse young or greeen? Are there things around the property that might spook him into sudden motion that might unseat you? Could he ever trip and fall down? Or spook and run under a barn door and smack your head into it?
Do you mind the feeling of a helmet? Are you a parent with the lifelong duty of raising a family?

Cinnys Whinny 12-02-2011 06:50 PM

I agree, helmet wear is controversial on here. I like to recommend that people under 18 wear one at all times, but that is only my belief. Sometimes I wear mine, sometimes I don't. It depends on my mood, Cinny's mood and what I"m planning on doing. If' I'm trying out new tack, I like to wear a helmet as he sometimes blows up with new tack like a rodeo bronc. If he's obviously having a bad day, helmet. If' I'm going to work on obstacles such as tarps, cross rails, etc etc...helmet. Our light trail, no helmet, the trail with hills and covered bridges, helmet (I actually bashed a huge dent in my helmet when I misjudged how low a covered bridge was and was thankful it was the helmet not my skull).

I know that there are new laws regarding helmets for ALL riders of certain levels at shows regardless of age, including people dong vaulting. I can't remember when they take effect, but they cover pretty much every rider except for some pretty top level riders, and still their horses have to be a certain minimum age as well. I really don't remember the specifics though, and I know that some groups (like the vaulters) are planning on appeals because helmet would actually be more dangerous with what they are doing.

waresbear 12-02-2011 06:55 PM

I wear a helmet alll the time, except in the showring for western. Why take a chance of a head injury, why? why? why? A helmet is comfortable & vented & has a brim to protect your nose from sun damage. I really don't see the point of taking an unneccessary risk. I really don't.

bsms 12-02-2011 06:58 PM

I wear one about 90% of the time. I don't see a big downside. But if I don't have my helmet, I'll still ride. However, you couldn't pay me to jump, or to get on my bolt-loving mare without one. She's been known to bolt in mid-dismount. That sucks!

The statistics I've seen indicate that if you fall on your noggin, a helmet reduces risk of injury by around 50%.

Safety involves thinking about all the risk factors - horse, weather, tack, style of riding, terrain, skill, etc. Helmets are only one thing to consider.

A Tipperary.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1489/img2399crop.jpg

Horsecrazy4ever 12-02-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1252139)
Wearing helmets or not is an issue that gets repeatedly discussed here and can raise the ire of people on both sides of the issue. It is seen by some as just common sense and no reason to NOT wear a helmet by some (me included) and as an issue of personal choice by others who resent the babysitting attitude of helmet advocates.

What do you think? HOw high off the ground are you? Have you ever fallen off? Is your horse young or greeen? Are there things around the property that might spook him into sudden motion that might unseat you? Could he ever trip and fall down? Or spook and run under a barn door and smack your head into it?
Do you mind the feeling of a helmet? Are you a parent with the lifelong duty of raising a family?

My horse is 14.1H and is 2 yrs. old. He is still greenbroke and needs miles put on him. He never buck's or rear's and isn't spooky. But with a green broke horse you never know. Reason I am asking is because yesterday when I was riding he spooked and I flew off over his head. I landed on my seat and am bruised but other then that am fine. oh, and I am 14 yrs. old....I think i am going to wear a helmet untill my horse is better broke...not sure yet. what do you all think?

Horsecrazy4ever 12-02-2011 07:20 PM

Thank you for all the comments and tips! =)

smrobs 12-02-2011 07:20 PM

I think that's a good idea and you are being very mature in your reasoning for it as well :D.

ChristineNJ 12-02-2011 07:28 PM

I ALWAYS wear a helmet!!! Look what happened to Courtney King Dye an experienced Dressage rider & the winner of many Dressage events. She was riding a young horse who tripped and fell. She was in a coma for months and after a year still has trouble walking, talking and is learning to ride all over again. She is very brave and trying very hard to recover from serious tramatic brain injury. Ask Courtney if you should wear a helmet.