The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What coud possibly be wrong with my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-coud-possibly-wrong-my-horse-105116/)

6174nikki 12-03-2011 10:52 AM

What coud possibly be wrong with my horse?

I really need some help with what may possibly be wrong with my gorgeous mare!

She is a 15 year old bay mare, i have had her for about four months and do not have alot of history on her as the poor thing has been past from one person to the next over the years.

Two week ago, i was down mucking her out when i saw she was laying down in her feild, i went down into the feild to take a picture when all of a sudden she started to have what appeared to be a seizure, her legs were thrashing about as if she was running, her stomach was twitching, her eyes were in the back of her head, and she was grunting, she all of a sudden tried to get up and fell back down, she then tried to get back up and when she did she started running around and running into me and some other people (who had come over to see if she was okay) as if she could not see us, she then stopped and went and drank a whole 30 litre bucket of water and she then stood there asleep, after about ten minutes she was completely back to normal and you would never have guessed anything had happened to her.

i had the vet out to her as i was worried and she did a full haematology and full blood profile, all of which came back clear, so they said that i could ride her again and that it was probably a one off, all was forgotten and then two days ago the manager of the yard rang me to say she was having another one, i rushed down and again, she was perfectly fine other than this time she had a minor cut on her face and on her leg, i called the vet again and she basically told me she didnt have a clue what was wrong and that she would do some research.

i am now very worried and i dont have a clue what could be wrong, does anyone else have any ideas, or anyone ever witnessed anything like this?

Taffy Clayton 12-03-2011 11:03 AM

i don't have a clue if horses have seizures, I don't see why not though. My dog does have seizures and it sounds simalar to what she goes through, but when she is in the middle of the seizure her limbs are stiff and she cannot move, when it is over she salivates profusly.

Speed Racer 12-03-2011 11:13 AM

Sounds neurological. Horses most definitely can have seizures.

OP, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you shouldn't ride this horse any longer unless the vet can find the source of her seizures and control them. God forbid you're riding her when she has one, as you could get hurt very badly, or even killed.

Neurological issues are tricky to diagnose though, and bloodwork won't tell a vet anything if her ailment has something to do with misfirings in her brain.

WSArabians 12-03-2011 11:29 AM

Horses can and do have seizures - unfortantely they are very dangerous to both horse and rider. There could be a host of medical or pedigree problems that cause this. I agree with the above person - I wouldn't ride or work her until you figure out what is triggering it. This is very serious and can put you at a lot of risk.
I hope you do, and it all works out.

izzynella 12-03-2011 01:01 PM

hey, it sounds like your mare is having similar episodes to what my friends horse had, his was caused by his feed! something in his feed he was allergic to and it caused him to have episodes, shes sinced changed her horses feed (hes a hanovarian and stands at 17.2hh, very big horse!) and fingers crossed he has been fine since. the vet said to her its kinda like a severly lactose intolerant person eating a cheese sandwich and resulting in blowing up like a balloon. i hope your vets find out whats wrong with her soon, i agree with the above, dont ride her, x

6174nikki 12-03-2011 01:31 PM

im not riding her right now, as i know it could end badly, thankyou will try changing her feed and see where i get! x

izzynella 12-03-2011 02:58 PM

its worth a try! my mare cant have alfalfa a because it makes her colic, so it could help changing her feed. good luck :) x